Prev: Re: Phalon Plasma Bolts Next: Re: Phalon Plasma Bolts

Re: The GZG Digest V1 #932

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 00:05:20 +0200
Subject: Re: The GZG Digest V1 #932

Mikko Kurki-Suonio wrote:

>Örjan:
>
>>Why not go further still, say MD10 or more? <g>
>
>MD8 ain't the max anymore?

No. MD17 is the max for non-Sa'Vasku FTL-capable ships, but you have
very little space left for weapons with this much Mass tied into
engines.

>>Um... The basic goal of all tactics is to force the enemy to do
>>something he'd rather not. In this particular case he'd rather not
move
>>closer, so what you seem to say is that you're genuinely interested
in
>>the tactics I used, especially if they don't involve tactics?
>
>??? I don't get you. In tennis, there's this concept of forced errors
and
>unforced errors. Basically, an unforced error is when you screw up. A
>forced error is the result of your opponent *forcing* you to take a
bad
>choice.
>
>Now, if you just say "lure him closer" that's basing your tactics on
an
>unforced error -- something I'd rather not bet on against a competent
>opponent.

This is effectively the situation where a lower-thrust ship manages to
close the range on a higher-thrust ship in a stern chase. The
higher-thrust ship has screwed up badly.

>What I was looking for is your idea how to FORCE closing of the range,
>making it a forced error.

And that's exactly what I described. I can force the sniper to create
an overtake velocity which I can then use against it.

>>The only real reason for space battles (or wet-naval battles) is to
>>ensure that you can go wherever you want and stop the other guy
>>from doing the same. Destroying the enemy ships is only a means to
>>this end, after all.
>
>You're getting there... almost. Now, let's say this "sniper" is
actually a
>fast cargo ship. Or a strike ship en route to your starbase. Or a
scout.
>It does NOT want a fight. But you DO. Because if you can't FORCE it
>to fight,

I can't force the enemy scout to fight, but I can force it to make a
wide enough detour around the forces it wants to get sensor data on.
Unless he's content with getting sensor data on my screening forces,
that's effectively a mnor victory for me.

If it is a fast cargo ship (a smuggler or blockade runner, say) or a
strike ship, it has problems reaching its destination unless it wants
to fight my patrol/blockade ships - or, of course, unless both its
destination and starting point were outside my territory and I'm
attempting to intercept it during the voyage :-/ If I do have ships at
its destination, the main difference between the smuggler/blockade
runner scenario and the one I described earlier is the "target" of the
"attack"; I can still use the "sniper"'s velocity towards its objective
to trap it.

Regards,

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
- Hen3ry

Prev: Re: Phalon Plasma Bolts Next: Re: Phalon Plasma Bolts