Prev: Re: Retrograde gimmickry Next: Re: FTL Communication

Re: Retrograde gimmickry

From: Roger Books <books@j...>
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2000 13:54:54 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: Retrograde gimmickry

On 10-Jun-00 at 15:01, stiltman@teleport.com (stiltman@teleport.com)
wrote:

> A starfaring power that does _not_ want this to happen to them has to
be
> able to put ships between the enemy and their planets that can hold
the
> line to make sure that it doesn't.  If they're dedicating much of
their
> resources to what amount to "skirmish forces" that are going to be
good for
> little but flying away from an enemy in deep space and slinging
insults at
> them, they've lost sight of this simple goal.

So if I can intercept you far away from the planet because I have faster
ships and retrograde to the  planet, toasting your lumbering hulk in
the process, have I not fulfilled my goal?  If I can pick my ranges when
attacking your worlds and destroy your lumbering hulk (or force it to
leave) have I not fulfilled my goal?

Actually, the problem here is you see you map as the "One true map",
as such it  could actually be used against you.

Scenario:  I am facing the lumbering hulk of doom.  It may or may
 not be a massive carrier.

Solution:  Knowing that we are playing in an artificial universe with
walls, I will take a fleet composed of 1/2 things able to shoot down
massive numbers of fighters and 1/2 small cloaking needle beam ships.

Strategy:  Keep the fighter ships  out of range of the	big guy
and let the fighters come to them.  Bring the needle beems up to
the big guy and toast his drives.  If he is moving at all I then keep
ships out of his arcs and let him coast off the artificial universe,
smacking the wall and being considered gone.  I win if it is my
playfield, I win if  it is his playfield.  If he wants to FTL out
I win.	If it is a _real_ campaign where losses count I needle his
FTL drive if I have ships left to do so that way the ship may not
be recovered.

The problem is you are forcing the tactics you prefer and few here feel
comfortable playing on	your terms.  Many here are of the Honor
Harrington theory of space combat,  speed and maneuver count.  Of those
that aren't most are wargamers of other sorts, and the	thought of
letting your opponent chose the territory, the rules, and the  victory
conditions don't sit well.

Roger

Prev: Re: Retrograde gimmickry Next: Re: FTL Communication