Prev: Re: FB2 SV Drone Question Next: Re: "Custom" fleets

Re: "Custom" fleets

From: "Laserlight" <laserlight@q...>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 21:44:31 -0400
Subject: Re: "Custom" fleets

Stiltman said.
>On the other hand, I've seen both Oerjan and Noam suggest with
a straight face
>that someone make a strategy out of using a long-range beam and
abuse the
>floating edge to ping away at people.

On the other hand, I've seen you suggest with a straight face
that "space has an edge".

Now, if you have someone who has faster ships with longer-ranged
weapons, and all you play is one-off games of the "both fleets
meet and slug it out to the death over this stretch of vacuum"
type, then you're in a world of hurt.  Any Roman legionary,
slogging away after a Parthian horse archer, would tell you that
this isn't the way to operate.	 This is, however, something
that happens in the real world, and any admiral is going to have
to learn to cope with it--without relying on "the edge of the
universe" to help him.	It can be dealt with--as a nod to John
Atkinson, I will point out that Byzantine heavy cav and infantry
regularly took on nomad light cavalry and whipped them.  The
method is left as an exercise for the student.

Prev: Re: FB2 SV Drone Question Next: Re: "Custom" fleets