Prev: Re: Measuring things... Next: RE: Measuring things...

Re: [DS/SG]Strategic Stargrunt

From: Indy <kochte@s...>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 10:35:38 -0400
Subject: Re: [DS/SG]Strategic Stargrunt

Jon Davis wrote:

> Denny Graver wrote:
> >
> > I'm thinking of running a SG/DS PBEMbattle using the chain
> > of command, fog of war, LOS etc - fighting the out a game based on
say.. The
> > Ogre Scenario: Ceasefire collapse would be interesting, I think.
Obviously
> > the game scales are different, and GZG powered armour troops don#t
shoot
> > I'm still formulating my ideas on this, but it would run like a
kreigspiel
> > style
> > game with unit commanders knowing where the enemy is only if he can
be
> > seen/detected.
> >
> > DS Players would give general orders for their units which would
advance
> > towards their objectives/waypoints at the appropriate speed.  When
forces
> > make Contact the game turn would be noted and details would be sent
> > appropriate unit commanders for responses.	This might mean a battle
> > resolved by Dirtside if the forces are large enough, or Stargrunt if
> > Skirmish sized.
> >
> > Any thoughts on this, anyone ?
> >

> It may make more sense to convert SG & DS to a "hex" based game for
the
> purposes of mapping and movement.  These games have not lent
themselves
> to be done via PBeM, but that just means that the list hasn't figured
> out the best way to do it yet.

Serendipitously funny, I was just reviewing my old notes from long
ago on this topic this morning (okay, old notes in my head, not on
a piece of paper; otherwise they'd've gotten kinda soggy in the shower)
and was rethinking that a graph paper-based map would be better (then,
depending on the resolution you wanted to have, you could either denote
where the center of a given unit is, or where each individual element of
said unit is).

 Needs more tweaking/thought, but I don't have time right at the
moment other than for sporadic flares of impulsed thoughts.  :-/

Mk

Prev: Re: Measuring things... Next: RE: Measuring things...