Prev: Re: [OT] Suggested Sci-Fi Next: [FT] Fleet Match-ups/Strategies?

[FT] Fleet Survey Results

From: Allan Goodall <agoodall@i...>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 22:18:34 -0400
Subject: [FT] Fleet Survey Results

Hi, guys.

Well, I got a better response than I expected from the fleet surveys.
Thanks,
all.

I did an informal count of the fleets used, by response. This isn't
exact, as
I didn't weigh "big" fleets versus "small" fleets, and some people have
strange mix of ships. So, roughly speaking, here are the totals out of
20

NAC: 10
FSE: 10
ESU: 8
NSL: 13
Kra'vak: 9
Sa'vasku: 6
Phalon: 3
OU: 3
IF: 3
Other: 9

It's a pretty even distribution across the main fleets, which isn't too
surprising considering how long the models have been out.

What's more interesting is the comments on how well the fleets play. It
seems
that the favourite is ESU, due to its ability to take damage and dish it
out
with a reasonable speed. NSL has its proponents too, but most give ESU
the
edge. NAC seems to be the main jack-of-all-trades fleet. It seems to be
a good
well-rounded fleet, not particularly stunning but not too weak.

The trickiest fleet appears to be the FSE. Some say it isn't very
competitive.
However, I had a couple of people say that it could very well be the
most
powerful human fleet in the game in cinematic games. Salvo missiles are
tricky
weapons, but with experience they can be very nasty.

A few pointed out that they thought the NSL was superior in vector
games. The
slow speed of the NSL ships is less of an issue when a single thrust
point can
spin the ship into a firing arc.

The aliens are, not surprisingly, still a question mark. Actually, I was
LITTLE surprised. I remember when I first joined the list there was that
whole
"Kra'vak as overpowered" issue due to their point values. This seems to
have
calmed down somewhat. They are still powerful, but a bit fragile ina
knock-down-drag-out, apparently.

Okay, have I made a decision on fleets? Well, I have a NAC fleet and an
FSE
fleet. I also have a fleet of Valiant ships painted up. I have a few of
these,
but I don't have a lot of ship variants. I can always use the Valiant
ships to
represent pretty much any fleet I want.  For that matter, pretty much
any
fleet can be used for any other fleet. For pick up games I could easily
use my
FSE ships to represent ESU ships. GZG fans seem to be less anal about
this
kind of thing than the sycophants of other games...

I think my next fleet will probably be a Phalon fleet. I would like an
alien
fleet, and though the Kra'vak look good, I have a certain perverse
(ahem)
fondness for the Phalons. After that, it's probably NSL or Kra'vak. By
then,
however, the next Fleet Book will probably be out (I am not the world's
fastest painter) and I may change my mind.

Thanks all!

Allan Goodall		       agoodall@interlog.com
Goodall's Grotto: http://www.interlog.com/~agoodall/

Prev: Re: [OT] Suggested Sci-Fi Next: [FT] Fleet Match-ups/Strategies?