Prev: RE: [OT] Suggested Sci-Fi Next: Re: [SG][DS][Campaigns] Mass transport and low G planets

[SG][DS][Campaigns] Mass transport and low G planets

From: tlsmith@m... (Terrance L. Smith)
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 20:29:29 -0600
Subject: [SG][DS][Campaigns] Mass transport and low G planets

I have been wondering about what type of bulk and mass passenger
transportation might be the norm on low G planets in the future. The
reason
for my pondering is for scenario design; a planetary invasion will
likely
make control or destruction of the transportation network a fairly high
priority.

Assumptions: 1) We are talking about a planet with gravity about the
same
as Mars (38% of earth's gravity) 2) Bulk freight and large masses of
people
will still be most cost effectively moved using ground transportation.
(It
is not economical to move iron ore using C141s.) Note: I am not
concerned
with water transport at this point.

Rail travel could be a problem. Inertia remains the same, but the wheel
rail contact force will only be 40% (I assume this is proportional to
gravity?) what it is on earth. Presumably that will reduce the load that
can be started and greatly increase the braking distance.

There must be ways this problem could be reduced:
-All wheels powered
-Cog railway
-Maglev (Something like Maglev feels right for a Sci-Fi setting. Much
more
futuristic than steel rails. But how does the construction cost
compare.)
-What else?

What are the list's thoughts?

Terrance Smith, Ph.D., ELS

Prev: RE: [OT] Suggested Sci-Fi Next: Re: [SG][DS][Campaigns] Mass transport and low G planets