Prev: Re: Questions Next: Re: Miniatures

Re: A big problem for the next 100 years - energy demands

From: Beth Fulton <beth.fulton@m...>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 10:32:37 +1000
Subject: Re: A big problem for the next 100 years - energy demands

G'day Tom,

 >20 Billion would be about 4x as many people as we have now. If the
increase was
 >across the board, that'd put Canada with 120 Million - we could easily
do
 >that. That'd put the USA with around 1.1 Billion or so. That's kinda
getting
 >tight. China and India wouldn't bear thinking about. That pressure of
 >population DENSITY could easily drive exoduses from those parts of the
world

Though on the right conceptual track, as usual its not that simple.
China
for one will see a large population decrease within the next few decades
as
the effects of their birth control policy really kicks home (I can't
remember the exact figures but its something like 60% of their
population
will be greater than 60 within the next decade or so). Though you're
right
with India, they may well be in trouble due to their population. Further

much of the first world is already in a reproductive negative state so
an
across the board increase won't capture who will be the most likely to
be
feeling the local pressures of increased population size. However it
does
serve rather well for highlighting issues such as the energy issues you
outlined.

Take home message: based on 'across the board' ideas you can get an idea
of
some of the big 'physical' issues that an increased population may
present,
a more textured distribution of the extra population will bring to light

the more hidden/subtle issues of societal strain, cultural change,
disease
etc. In the end both of these may (I'd guess) constitute incentives to
ship
out <now I've just got to figure out if they're a push or a pull right
Brian? ;)>

Cheers

Beth

----
----
Elizabeth Fulton
c/o CSIRO Division of Marine Research
GPO Box 1538
HOBART
TASMANIA 7001
AUSTRALIA
Phone (03) 6232 5018 International +61 3 6232 5018
Fax 03 6232 5053 International +61 3 6232 5053

email: beth.fulton@marine.csiro.au

Prev: Re: Questions Next: Re: Miniatures