Prev: Re: (FT) Floating table Next: Re: [OT] Bureau of Relocation

Re: [OT] Bureau of Relocation

From: Beth Fulton <beth.fulton@m...>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 10:27:36 +1000
Subject: Re: [OT] Bureau of Relocation

G'day Brian,

While I agree we are making pretty much the same point I think there's a

lot more 'hidden' or egotistical stuff in the push/pull than you. You're

damn right that it cost a heap to colonise in the past, but as I've said

before in relative terms it was as if not more expensive than
interstellar
colonisation given the assumption of fairly cheap FTL. A lot of the time

ego and curiosity will be enough of a push.

 >You Aussies are far too modest.  Australia is fairly bursting with
natural resources.

Something the Brits, Dutch and every other country who tried to claim
Terra
Australis didn't know for sure at the time. Hartog, Cook etc didn't
exactly
do a geological survey they just stuck up plates and said '"its ours".
The
fact that the Europeans then spent decades looking for an inland sea
kinda
suggests they knew jack of what the place was really like, the really
useful stuff didn't turn up until later.

Cheers

Beth

----
----
Elizabeth Fulton
c/o CSIRO Division of Marine Research
GPO Box 1538
HOBART
TASMANIA 7001
AUSTRALIA
Phone (03) 6232 5018 International +61 3 6232 5018
Fax 03 6232 5053 International +61 3 6232 5053

email: beth.fulton@marine.csiro.au

Prev: Re: (FT) Floating table Next: Re: [OT] Bureau of Relocation