Prev: [FT] Centimeters vs. Inches Next: Re: Centimeters

Re: DS II: Capitulation (was point balancing)

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Wed, 3 May 2000 18:18:48 +0200
Subject: Re: DS II: Capitulation (was point balancing)

Robert W. Hofrichter wrote:

>Just think of me being a little hyper-sensitive when it comes to this
>topic--I REALLY want to avoid a serious number-crunching system like
>Striker was--I just don't have the inclination to fiddle with annoying
stuff >in my hobby when it's all I do for work.

I've seen "Fire, Fusion & Steel". I have "Brilliant Lances"... and
there is a reason I've never even attempted to play any
Traveller-associated games except 5thFW, Imperium and Dark Nebula <g>

>And there would be a lot more difference in an FB-type design system
>for DS than you're letting on--or have I missed something?

You have most likely missed the Sa'Vasku design rules in FB2 <shrug>

[No, Indy - no changes to how DSII vehicles take damage. Only a change
to what armour levels they can have on which sides - much like today's
tank designers are reconsidering the old "heavy armour on the frontal
60 degrees, thin everywhere else" :-/ ]

>And how 'bout ground pressure being used to determine speed in
>addition to P/W?

If you want to worry about ground pressure, you do just that. I'm not
going to bother with details quite that low, just like I don't worry
about how many MW equals 1 Sa'Vasku "Power Point" in FB2. IMO it is
quite sufficient to know that "it takes this large a power pack to get
this maximum speed with that mobility type"...

>Especially since most movement will be cross-country and NOT on
>roads.  And in FB, you only have total armor, not on facings.

But you have two *different* types of damage-absorbing structure: hull
and armour in F. DSII only has one...

>I guess I could go on, but I think you get my point.

I get the distinct impression that you believe that I'm somehow going
to force you to use my house rule design system against your wish. If
you don't like it, you simply stick with the official rules <shrug>

Regards,

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
- Hen3ry

Prev: [FT] Centimeters vs. Inches Next: Re: Centimeters