Prev: Re: [FT] AAR -- Cygnus Fleet Proving Exercise Next: Re: [OT] Have questions-setting up game shop

Re: [FT] AAR -- Cygnus Fleet Proving Exercise (long-ish)

From: Aron_Clark@d...
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 13:51:14 -0700
Subject: Re: [FT] AAR -- Cygnus Fleet Proving Exercise (long-ish)

Shoot, I knew I could have chewed you (Noam) up if I could have gotten
into
range.	I'll tell you I got pretty demoralized after the first salvo
fell.  What
did I learn from Cyngus . . .
- Enhanced / Superior Sensors [MT] would have been a valuable asset in
this type
of game.  If only to perhaps glimpse an opponents SSD.
- MT missiles are ok, but against moderate PDS they don't fare well,
ought to
arrive on target with fighters or additional missiles.
- MD < 4 is pretty tough to maneuver.
- Vector is lots different than Cinematic, heck that was my first go at
it,
anxious to try some more.
- Nova Cannon . . . shudder . . .
- PBEM games take a long time to resolve, we started this 8/30/99.  It's
hard to
keep a consistent strategy from week to week.
- Drones / Boggies are very useful to throw your oppent off balance and
get them
to respond elsewhere

Unfortunatly not each of the 5 fleets were activly engaged in the game.
One
went down in a blaze of "Nova Fire",by turn 7 or so.  Anotherr flew off
the
board (VP loss) after spending most of the game crossing the table.  I
think the
game would have been far more intresting if we could have all mixed it
up
together (maybe a smaller arena would have solved this).  Rather, we had
a lot
of long range manuver coupled with brief engagement periods.

Here's the fleet I ran, I'm anxious to try it on a physical table rather
than in
the realms of cyber space.  My general design philosophy was I wanted to
be
fairly maneuverable while maintaining a high damage threshold (ie
multiple
engagements with multiple opponents).  Though I already see areas for
redesign.

Archamedies
Mass: 145
Cost: 518 (590)
Clas: Escort Carrier (CVE)
Hull: Weak
FTL:  Std.
MD:   2
Armr: 9
Damg: 29;  8/7/7/7
Systems
  1 x Screen
  2 x FCS
  1 x ADFC
  6 x PDS
  Class-3 beam (AP,FP,F)
  Class-3 beam (F,FS,AS)
  Class-2 beam (FP,F,FS)
  Class-1 beam (All)
  3 x MT Missile
  MT Missile (EMP)
  4 x Fighter Bay

York
Mass: 120
Cost: 395
Clas: Battlecruiser (BC)
Hull: Strong
Strm: None
FTL:  Std.
MD:   4
Armr: 6;
Damg: 48;  12/12/12/12
Systems
  3 x FCS
  1 x ADFC
  4 x PDS
  Pulse Torpedo (A,AP,FP)
  Pulse Torpedo (FP,F,FS)
  Pulse Torpedo (F,FS,AS)
  Class-2 beam (All)

Bogata
Mass: 148
Cost: 514
Clas: Battleship (BB)
Hull: Average
FTL:  Std.
MD:   3
Damg: 44;  11/11/11/11
Crew:	8
Sens: Std.
Systems
  2 x Screen
  3 x FCS
  3 x PDS
  Class-4 beam (F)
  2 x Class-3 beam (AP,FP,F)
  2 x Class-3 beam (F,FS,AS)
  3 x Class-2 beam (All)
  5 x Class-1 beam (All)

TVC 15, LBJ 88, JFK 09, & BDR 13
President class Heavy Destroyer
Mass: 40
Cost: 129
Clas: Heavy Destroyer (DH)
Hull: Average
FTL:  Std.
MD:   6
Armr: 4
Damg: 12;  3/3/3/3
Systems
  1 x FCS
  PDS
  Pulse Torpedo (F)

AD 237	& BC 531
Epoc  class Escort Cruiser
Mass: 70
Cost: 237
Clas: Escort Cruiser (CE)
Hull: Average
FTL:  Std.
MD:   4
Armr: 6
Damg: 21;  6/5/5/5
Systems
  3 x FCS
  1 x ADFC
  3 x PDS
  Class-3 beam (F)
  Class-2 beam (AP,FP,F)
  Class-2 beam (F,FS,AS)
  Class-1 beam (All)
  MT Missile
  MT Missile  (EMP)

Prev: Re: [FT] AAR -- Cygnus Fleet Proving Exercise Next: Re: [OT] Have questions-setting up game shop