Prev: Re: [OT] Have questions-setting up game shop Next: Re: Breaking the trend with an FB2 question

Re: DS2 Balance and stuff.

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 20:56:31 +0200
Subject: Re: DS2 Balance and stuff.

Alan Brain wrote:

[snip lots of good stuff]

>What's worse is the concept of a "force multiplier". As OO has pointed
>out, adding cheap FC equipment to a lo-tech vehicle makes it far more
>effective. So in order to get CV proportional to PV, the PV effects
>should be multiplicative as well as additive, just as the CV effects
are.

Very true. FCSs and Stealth really should be paid for as percentages of
the (rest of the) vehicle's cost much like Back-up systems already are,
but it is rather tricky to do this with FCSs - most players won't
accept that the Superior FCS for a HKP/5 on a cheap tank is cheaper
than the Superior FCS for another HKP/5 on an expensive tank :-/

OTOH, for systems like ECM or PDS which only defend against certain
specific threats, multiplicative PV effects usually aren't very
successful since it rapidly makes high-tech vehicles *REALLY*
expensive. In such cases additive PVs work better.

>Do I have some magic solution? No, just trying to point out what the
>goals should be. IMHO.

Spot on, too. Now the only problem is to achieve them <g>

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
- Hen3ry

Prev: Re: [OT] Have questions-setting up game shop Next: Re: Breaking the trend with an FB2 question