Prev: Re: Lasers can't be defended against? Next: Re: Chainguns vs. Gatlings

Re: Gauss Weapons

From: db-ft@w... (David Brewer)
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 01:04:17 GMT
Subject: Re: Gauss Weapons

In message <200004251828.UAA04842@d1o902.telia.com> "Oerjan Ohlson"
writes:
> Thomas.Barclay wrote:
>
> >Plus better penetration on a round whose l:d ratio was 10:1 rather
> than >3:1 or 4:1.
>
> There is absolutely no reason why you can't fire a round with an l:d
> ratio of 10:1 from a normal chemical-powered gun with cased ammo,
> though. Don't know the l:d ratios for modern 25- and 30mm long rod
> penetrators, but for 40mm ones and bigger 10:1 sounds rather short and
> fat...?

During trials a decade or so ago the US tested various "Advanced
Combat Rifles". Steyr produced an ACR which fired sabotted
flechettes that look, to my untrained eye to be considerably
thinner than 10:1... maybe 20:1. Old copies of Jane's Infantry
Stuff may have the gen on the Steyr ACR, possibly the new one does
not.

--
David Brewer

Prev: Re: Lasers can't be defended against? Next: Re: Chainguns vs. Gatlings