Prev: Chainguns vs. Gatlings Next: Re: DS2 Balance

RE: DS2 Balance

From: Beth Fulton <beth.fulton@m...>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 15:57:36 +1000
Subject: RE: DS2 Balance

G'day guys,

As Owen has pointed out, there's
>no advantage to being hi-tech if you just sit there and slug it out -
you'll

>eventually be overwhelmed. But if you keep the enemy on his toes, keep
him
>guessing HOW you're going to hit him next, you've got a shot.

While not exactly your run of the mill DS force, the Daleks do suffer
GREATLY from this hitech vs lowtech problem. So far we haven't tried to
mitigate it via any rule changes (though the extra shots do sound
promising) I've just had to learn to cope with the fact if I run them I
don't win a lot <but then I've had a lot of practice at that ;)>. So far
figured out that:

a) I've got to be VERY aggressive if I'm using such a high tech force,
rip
in and grab the objectives flat chat before the low tech forces get a
chance to react and then call it over then and not get greedy and wait
for
that one extra objective (or the scales get tipped).
b) Chose targets very carefully, you may not have your (few) vehicles
for
long so while you've got them use them effectively (but then I guess
that's
just common military sense)
c) Use ortillery/artillery to slow them down (especially smoke, I took
this
a step further by running my pyroflame Daleks out as front line setting
fire to the country side as they pass and so set up a screen I can try
and
hide behind a bit), once again probably common sense.
d) If you do have to slug it out for a particular spot, let the infantry
(well in my case plain old Daleks) do all the hard work (take longer to
kill than vehicles), though supporting them with a few well placed
vehicles
in cover is a lot of help.
e) Pepper your squads with special teams carying LADs or Engineering
teams
(LADs because it severly curtails the "I'll just DFO you out of
existence
tactic" and Engineering as they double as my medics).

Do know if that's any help, but there you go. Having said that I'd love
see more ideas on recosting DS/fiddling-with-tech-tree (says she who's
main
walkers cost about 740 to 1530pts).

Cheers

Beth

----
----
Elizabeth Fulton
c/o CSIRO Division of Marine Research
GPO Box 1538
HOBART
TASMANIA 7001
AUSTRALIA
Phone (03) 6232 5018 International +61 3 6232 5018
Fax 03 6232 5053 International +61 3 6232 5053

email: beth.fulton@marine.csiro.au

Prev: Chainguns vs. Gatlings Next: Re: DS2 Balance