Prev: Re: Islamic Feds Next: Re: Two AARs--John Atkinson vs Laserlight

Re: Detection by IR

From: "Laserlight" <laserlight@q...>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 22:38:20 -0400
Subject: Re: Detection by IR

>So, if my idea is right, that means you would for certain
detect a
>manouvring ship out at 76.8 million km (7600 mu at 10,000 km
per mu) . You'd
>for sure not detect it out at more than 750 million km.
Assuming drives run
>that hot.  If your thrusters only ran at 600 degrees Kelvin,
you'd only be
>detectable at 16 LS. This is still a long way.

Compared to what?  Not interplanetary distances.  (Yes, I know
it's a long way with respect to tactical ranges).

>So it seems that if you could close on a ballistic track with
baffling on
>and some method of dropping your hull to 150 K, you could
probably close to
>tactical ranges without detection.

If you come in on a ballistic track, how far out from your
target will you need to be?  If it's a couple AU (Weber) or a
30+AU (Mote in God's Eye--"merchant ships don't need to come
nearer to Earth than Neptune"), you'll either need to have high
velocity before you jump, or you'll need to drift in very, very
patiently.

Prev: Re: Islamic Feds Next: Re: Two AARs--John Atkinson vs Laserlight