Prev: Re: EW Next: Re: EW

Re: EW Questions

From: Sean Bayan Schoonmaker <schoon@a...>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 06:59:54 -0700
Subject: Re: EW Questions

>1) Can you attain a sufficient firing solution from passive means to
>launch guided ordinance? Or must you run active mode systems to provide
>a fire control solution?

Yes, but it's quite alot more difficult. Not necessarily, but it helps.

>2) Thinking about this (in the abscense of hard facts), I'd assume
that:

>- Passive sensor systems would be bad at short ranges, worse at medium
>ranges, and pretty awful at long ranges BUT because they don't rely on
>reflected signal, they work out to further ranges than active systems

Correct here, except about the range thing. Active virtually always has
better range.

>- Active systems work excellently at short range, moderately at medium
>range, and don't work worth a tinkers damn beyond that (too much space
>to cover, impossible to put a meaningful amount of energy density out
>these ranges

Active works better at almost all ranges better than passive, but tends
be directional. Also it increases YOUR chance of detection by the
baddies.

Schoon

Prev: Re: EW Next: Re: EW