Prev: Re: DS2: Vehicle Design Philosphy Next: RE: [OT] New Player

Re: Vehicle Design Philosophy

From: "Brian Bilderback" <bbilderback@h...>
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2000 21:49:38 PDT
Subject: Re: Vehicle Design Philosophy

I'm not sure this would really work in DS II. Remember, in DS II there's
no
such thing as "Hull" as opposed to armor. There's a size class, and
there's
armor.	Basically, all you're doing is making KV Armor 1 level stronger
- ie
class 4 armor would act as class 5, etc. I'm guessing (and only guessing

since I don't play FT) that if the KV don't rely on armor, they must
rely on
some sort of shielding on their ships.

Now, "Lot's of hull, not  a lot of armor" translates in DS II to
underarmored.  So I'm going to assume 1 of 3 things: Either: 1) the KV
have
developed some sort of shields for their ground vehicles using a
technology
unknown to humans or 2) The KV have a different design philosophy for
ground
vehicles than for spacecraft or 3) KV tanks may be killing machines but
they're also quite killable, IF you can hit them.... Let's look at our

Option 1:  Shields: We'll just have to wait and see how those will
change
the face of ground warfare in  the Tuffleyverse.

Option 2: The KV ground commanders rely a lot more heavily on armor than
do
the naval CO's. This would explain highly armored KV tanks.

Option 3: I'm wrong on both counts. The KV DON'T rely on heavy armor,
and
DON'T have ground-based shield devices. Instead, the KV philosophy would
be
(comparatively) lightly armored vehicles with superior ECM and GOBS of
stealth. They're a B***h to hit, but if you do, you have a good chance
of
killing them.

Brian B