Prev: Programs/Movies Next: Re: RE: [ds2] Dirtside powered armor

Re: B5 style drives

From: Roger Books <books@m...>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 11:24:13 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: B5 style drives

On 21-Mar-00 at 10:59, David Reeves (davidar@nortelnetworks.com) wrote:

> why all this extra chrome, you say?  primary reason: emphasize
> more maneuver into the the game and racial flavor.  secondary reason:
more
> interesting damage results.  for our group, we enjoy maneuvering to
hit
> opponent weak spots, flying crippled ships out of tight spots, etc.
this
> tension is where our group finds its most enjoyment; otherwise, a game

> becomes more of a "bang, bang, you're dead".	as such, our ideas may
not
> appeal to every group, since our definition of fun may not be someone
> else's.
>
> suggestions are welcome.

You don't need to modify the existing rules to make manuever all
important.
Go to centimeters instead of inches.  You are trying to deal with the
fact that you are playing in an unrealisticly small playing area.  If
your slowest speed isn't 20 you are probably artificially constrained
(or flying pigs).

What I was trying to accomplish was strengthening small, high thrust
ships by 2 mass while totally giving up drive redundancy.  We also
liked the idea that you could lose drives entirely in one turn.  You
may decide how much redundancy you want.

Roger

Prev: Programs/Movies Next: Re: RE: [ds2] Dirtside powered armor