Prev: RE: [FT] KV, Vector and Tweaks Next: RE: [SG] Withdrawl from close combat

While we're on the subject of firing arcs.... (Was FT, now DS)

From: "Brian Bilderback" <bbilderback@h...>
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2000 17:36:24 PST
Subject: While we're on the subject of firing arcs.... (Was FT, now DS)

I was hoping someone could shed some light for me on the subject of
hull-mounted fixed-arc weapons in Dirtside II. Why can they only fire
THEN
move? I know that in terms of game mechanics, this is to offset the
smaller
space requirement. But in real life terms, is this justified?  I don't
know,
I was hoping someone with some experience could give their input.

It seems to REALLY limit their usefulness, which DOES seem realistic,
since
the entire vehicle has to turn to turn the gun. As it stands, unless
it's in
hidden placement, you basically have to willingly manouver right into
such a
vehicle's arc BEFORE it's activation in order to be it's target.
However,
there must be a better way to reflect this?

Instead, why not establish a rule that a vehicle MAY fire a fixed-arc
weapon
AFTER movement, but not for opportunity fire, and also impose either a
penalty to it's accuracy, charge it one of it's Base Movement Points, or

both (Which seems most logical)?

However, I would not recommend applying this rule in any way to
off-board
arty - if they shoot-and-scoot, they should not be allowed to fire the
next
turn (in other words, keep the rule as it is for them), or they would
become
far too powerful, able to fire every turn without impunity.

As for ON-board artillery, this rule change would not really affect them

much (It would be suicide to move then fire as arty, that just BEGS a
CBR
response).

Any response (Gee, I asked for it....)?

Brian B

Prev: RE: [FT] KV, Vector and Tweaks Next: RE: [SG] Withdrawl from close combat