Prev: Starmaps Next: Re: Liberal/Conservative

Re: Libel

From: Allan Goodall <agoodall@i...>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 22:53:59 -0500
Subject: Re: Libel

On Fri, 17 Mar 100 05:59:13 GMT, aebrain@dynamite.com.au wrote:

>malice doesn't come into it (except to agravate damage, and in the case
of criminal
>libel)
>
>The only defences against Libel in Oz are:
>a) You didn't write/publish it.
>b) It wasn't damaging
>c) That it is both true and in the public interest that such a thing be
publicised.

As my wife will clearly attest, you can still sue for libel even if it's
not
damaging. In fact, you can WIN a libel case even if it's not damaging,
but the
damage will determine how much you win. If it's considered trivial, the
judge
(or Justice) will throw it out. However, sometimes a case of libel with
no
damage will still go through as it may set an important precedent.

Allan Goodall		       agoodall@interlog.com
Goodall's Grotto: http://www.interlog.com/~agoodall/

Prev: Starmaps Next: Re: Liberal/Conservative