Prev: Re: Wargames Vs. RPG's Next: Re: Liberal/Conservative (was: Mission to Mars)

[OT] Ideologies, was Re: Starship Troopers (was RE: Mission to Mars)

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 18:56:25 +0100
Subject: [OT] Ideologies, was Re: Starship Troopers (was RE: Mission to Mars)

David Brewer wrote:

>Liberal and conservative (small "l", small "c") mean what they
>mean. Liberal means open-minded and unprejudiced. Conservative
>means ill-disposed to change and non-extremist. I, personally, am
>quite happy to be both. If you meet any radical conservatives or
>liberal bigots be sure you tell them what oxymorons they are.

<Chuckle> The problem comes when political parties name themselves
after an ideology... and then the times change, and the parties don't
:-/

This is when you get situations like today's Sweden, where the
so-called "conservative" party is the most liberal one, the Liberals
are basically Social Democrats, and the Social Democrats - having
reformed most of the things they wanted to reform some thirty years ago
- is the most conservative party we have... the various greens and
leftists - the ones that suddenly have never been communists - are just
crazy <g>

Later,

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
- Hen3ry

Prev: Re: Wargames Vs. RPG's Next: Re: Liberal/Conservative (was: Mission to Mars)