Prev: Re: Wargames Vs. RPG's Next: Re: Combat films

Re: Mission To Mars (not really...)

From: db-ft@w... (David Brewer)
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 03:51:10 GMT
Subject: Re: Mission To Mars (not really...)

In message <003a01bf8fbd$b605fd60$33fb0e3f@default> "Laserlight" writes:
> Quoth the Adrian:
> >Characters in a film have to make us believe that THEY believe what
is
> >going on.
>
> (snips)
>
> I agree.  I really enjoyed Conan The Barbarian because they were
> serious about it (and I got the video and two copies of the
> soundtrack by Basil Polidouris);

Conan is incredibly, unbelievably serious. *Oliver Stone* wrote
the screenplay to Conan the Barbarian. It is a stock Olly Stone
Film about "paternal" influence. It's pretty much the same in
that respect as Wall Street or Platoon.

IIRC, it was produced by Dino D. Laurentiis, always a good sign.

> I enjoyed Monty Python & the
> Holy Grail--even though it was silly all the way
> through--because it was internally consistent (and the fact that
> I saw it for the first time right after my first gaming con,
> starting at 4am Sunday morning, may have helped).

The first time I saw Alien was after a 25-hour gaming session... I
was hallucinating wildly all the way through, lapsing between
being concious and dreaming. It's never been as good since.

--
David Brewer

Prev: Re: Wargames Vs. RPG's Next: Re: Combat films