Prev: Re: Mission to Mars (Spoilers) Next: Unofficial Stargrunt II Web Site

RE: KV, Humans, and Political Divisions

From: "Bell, Brian K" <Brian_Bell@d...>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 07:04:00 -0500
Subject: RE: KV, Humans, and Political Divisions

Laserlight,
I think that, perhaps, you are an exception.
>From your post, it seems that you have had a fair ammount of time to
talk
with and, thus, pick up on the distinction between North American
regional
dialects. However, how long did this take? Some people are gifted in
this
manner, however, for most people, it would take a deal of exposure to be
able to identify the differences.

John,
While this is true, it would take even longer to identify the changes as
they grew more subtle.

In both cases, the hearer has had time to destinguish the differences.
Compare them against individual diferention. Discover the patterns. Add
geographical knowledge, based on inquiry or information provided. Also,
in
both instances, this was done with a known language. This language
analysis
was not done on encrypted signals. And, the individuals were following
Human
logic and speach patterns.

I agree, the more that we learn about the Kra'Vak, the more we will be
able
to distinguish between clans, regions, professions, etc.  However, we
are
not at that point in the timeline, yet. At this point, most of the
Kra'Vak
that we would have heard, would have been coded or encrypted
transmissions.
Open chanel communication would have been in Kra'Vak milspeak (not
normal
language). The teams from Rot Hafen (or similar ground confrontations),
may
have a better idea of  this, as well as experts who have studied live
Kra'Vak prisoners [if any].

My guess, however, is that it will take YEARS to piece together even
pidgin
Kra'Vak, let alone to start to distinguish differences between the
regional
dialects. All this is not to say that the Kra'Vak are homogoneous. They
are
not. Just that it will take some time for humanity to discover the
differences.

-----
Brian Bell
bkb@beol.net