Prev: Re: Falkenberg/DSII Next: Re: Falkenberg/DSII

Re: DS II Infantry vs vehicles

From: RWHofrich@a...
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2000 21:54:02 EST
Subject: Re: DS II Infantry vs vehicles

In a message dated 3/10/00 8:30:34 PM Eastern Standard Time,
bbilderback@hotmail.com writes:

> Like a GMS/L, a SAVR must be carried by a dedicated team, which can
only
>  carry small arms for self-defense in addition to their SAVR.  SAVR's
use
the

>  same validities as IAVR's, but they draw 3 chits instead of 2, and
they
have

>  an effective range of 16" (Much greater than an IAVR, but nothing
compared
>  to the 36" of a GMS/L.  The advantage is that SAVR's are not
succeptible
>  ECM and ADS/PDS fire like GMS' are.)
>
>  In general, I'm pretty happy with these stats.  But if someone can
suggest

>  more viable range, that is the one area I'm most open to tweaking
this
house

>  rule.

Because the round for the new weapon would (presumably) be bigger than
an
IAVR, I would suggest that PDS/ADS be able to shoot at it (give the
defending
vehicle an additional die or dice based upon the PDS/ADS).  Unless we're

assuming its basically a rocket-propelled hypervelocity kinetic
penetrator
and not a HEAT weapon...

What about APFC systems?  Would they have any effect vs the SAVR?

The range is way too long in my opinion (which is, as usual, worth what
you
paid for it).  It appears that you are proposing an UNGUIDED
shoulder-launched missile system (otherwise we're talking GMS) and each
inch
is 100 meters IIRC.  So 16 inch range is pretty darn far for an unguided

man-pack weapon.  How 'bout letting it shoot 8 inches (double IAVR
range)
based upon the PSB that the fire control/targetting system is better
than the
IAVR's?  That's still a pretty long shot against a presumably moving
target
(the range of the SMAW is somewhere around 300 meters, right?).

Rob
(who left the Corps before the SMAW came into use)

Londo	    "I'm sorry.  Here, open my wrists."
Garibaldi   "Centauri don't have major arteries in their wrists."
Londo	    "Of course we don't.  What do you think, I am stupid?"

Prev: Re: Falkenberg/DSII Next: Re: Falkenberg/DSII