Prev: Re: Packers vs Vikings : Full Metal Central Divisoon Next: Re: [GZG ECC] "The Umpire Strikes Back" - The Predators

GMS vs. Infantry Reprise

From: "Thomas.Barclay" <Thomas.Barclay@s...>
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2000 19:08:08 -0500
Subject: GMS vs. Infantry Reprise

Henrix said:

Which means that it is worse than a IAVR, even when scoring the same
numb=
er
of potential hits (such as when firing superior guidance missiles at
powe=
armour), as the IAVR would roll D12 for all of them.
===============================

Or D10 --- depends if you believe the QR card or the rules text.

Or D8, arguing its impact is like a heavy weapons.

===============================

A GMS/L would give one hit at D12x2 penetr...Impact ;-) which gives us a
=
75%
chance (vs D12 armour) of a casualty (wound or kill), and the other hits
=
(D8
vs D12) a 29% chance of a casualty, compared to the IAVRs chance of 46%
chance for every hit.

================================

Yep. I admit this is true. But your IAVR can't engage targets across the
board
in its other mode.

================================

 (A GMS/H would increase the chance for the first
figure to become a casualty to 90%.)

=================================

Any PA eating GMS/H head on SHOULD die.

=================================

This gives us the following effect: If we score two potential hits, the
I=
AVR
has a 71% chance of inflicting at least one casualty, the GMS/P only
62%,
the GMS/L 82% and the GMS/H 93%.  Moreover, if we score more than two
hit=
the IAVR will gain on the GMS/L and /P, making it deadlier against power
armour at close range than this sniping with GMSs.

Why not just stick to a D12 for all GMSs, thus letting it fire the same
s=
ort of rounds as an IAVR? It is also simpler in game terms.

==================================

I don't think (IMO) it makes sense for a GMS/P, L and H to all hit with
the
same impact dice. If you argue contact hits, no way. If you argue
explosive
effects, the warhead is much bigger on the latter two.

Another simple solution:
GMS - fired like an IAVR only using Guidance die in place of FP. If it
hits
(both dice), count hits as normal. Apply weapon impact to first hit, and
D12
to all others. So, for GMS/P this is D12 for all targets. For GMS/L,
2D12
for the first, then D12 for the others. For GMS/H, 4D12 for the first,
then
D12 for the others.

That's more lethal than the IAVR if that is what you want. But it
preserves
the distinction between being hit by a TOW II and a Milan and a
Hellfire.

Tom.