Prev: Re: [DS2]-Command/Communications? Next: RE: Snow

Basic Astronomy Questions [CLEAN STAMP]

From: "Rick Rutherford" <Rick@e...>
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2000 14:06:11 -0500
Subject: Basic Astronomy Questions [CLEAN STAMP]

Hi all,

I have been looking through the star maps and lists on the
"GZG Encyclopedia Galactica" web site, (Excellent site!)
  http://www.clark.net/pub/nyrath/ft/ftmap2.html
and I'm a little confused about how to read the star list.
Can anyone answer a couple of basic astronomy questions?

The star called "Gl 732" is listed as having (being in?)
the spectrum called "sdG0" -- this must be an abbreviation
for something, but for the life of me I can't figure out what.

The star called "CD-38 10983" is listed with the spectrum "G3/5".
Is this a binary star, one of which is G3 and the other is G5?

The star called "LTT 6453" is listed with the spectrum "k-m".
Does this mean it's somewhere between K and M (orange-red)?

The star called "SM 34" is listed with the spectrum "K9 V J".
What does the "J" mean?

The star called "SM 11" is listed with the spectrum "K7 Ve".
What does "Ve" mean (as opposed to plain old "V")?

Thanks in advance for any help!

-- Rick

======
03/06/00 14:09:51

[INFO] -- Virus Manager:
This email message and any attachments were scanned by the WorldSecure
Server that protects Electronic Systems and itÂ’s customers. No Viruses
were detected in this message.

======

Prev: Re: [DS2]-Command/Communications? Next: RE: Snow