Prev: Re: Robots and Drones in SG2. Next: Re: More Timeline Stuff, Hopefully Less Controversial

Re: AI

From: "Voivode" <voivode@v...>
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 18:12:24 -0500
Subject: Re: AI

----- Original Message -----
From: "Alan E and Carmel J Brain" <aebrain@dynamite.com.au>

> Beth Fulton wrote:
>
> > >You don't have to have something much smarter than an ant, or at
best a
> > >frog, to be really useful.
> >
> > Though not military AI I know of a lot of work on AIs (for robot
> > navigation) which are currently underway and based on
ants/bees/various
> > other insects/owls/toads and a hedgehog (that one's got me stumped
too).

> Didn't know about the Hedgehog. Mammals are complex, orders of
magnitude
> of orders of magnitude (not a misprint) more rich and complex in
> behaviour than amphibians. I suspect they're only modelling one small
> instinctive facet of its behaviour.
> Any URLs handy?

Lets just hope its not the "curl up in a ball and sound like a coffee
maker
behavior."  (At least the African Pygmy variety)

Actually having been owned by one they can at times be agressive and
quick
when they want to (the males more so than the females as I understand
it).
I don't really mean biting but jumping towards you when it is balled up
and
frightened to get you to go away.  A couple of times when feeding or
changing cage elements ours would get me with them when I was certain he
couldn't have reached me (of course I am almost certain they teleport,
since
those little legs can't possibly get them as far as they seem to go as
quick
as they do).

I just can't figure out wy someone would want to study them for AI,
except
maybe that they are a very successful form of life (over the long term
anyway).

Ryan Fisk
voivode@voyager.net

Prev: Re: Robots and Drones in SG2. Next: Re: More Timeline Stuff, Hopefully Less Controversial