Prev: Re: Final Uploads for GZG-ECC III Next: Re: do GMS/P troopers carry ARs?

Re: NBC

From: Michael Sarno <msarno@p...>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 13:17:08 -0500
Subject: Re: NBC

sportyspam@harm.dhs.org wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Feb 2000, Los wrote:
> > Certainly the core interest of this group for me, is when someone
cooks up
> > something and everyone hashes it around. I mean , for example, if I
come up with
> > something wazoo, regarding ..whatever... the evolution of some alien
race, then
> > I find it real interesting to hear what Beth says about, who works
on this stuff
> > for real ever day down under. Sure at any time during the
conversation one could
> > say, yeah well it's just my universe and things evolved like this,
period, but
> > it's also fun to take maybe some actual principles of evolution and
apply them
> > to the race. It may not be your cup of tea, but it seems that this
process is
> > the cup of tea for the majority on this list.
>
>   Yeah, but I can't help think they'd be happier playing a WWII or
> Vietnam game. :)

    What's wrong with trying to come up with a plausible answer?  The
lack of
plausibility in sci-fi films and TV is one of the aspects that irks most
fans.  We're
trying to correct that trend where we can: in our games.  If that's a
characteristic
of WWII or Vietnam gaming, I'll plead guilty to both charges.  But I'll
never
apologize for wanting a plausible game.

> > Likewise there's a few of us on this list with extensive naval, or
ground combat
> > arms experience and even combat experience.   Sometimes it's nice to
get that
> > perspective on a subject since we are talking about infantry action
in a rules
> > system that covers anything from now all the way forward. Not that I
have
> > participated in the NBC discussion or the "what to do if your buddy
dies while
> > carrying the SAW" discussion (Too busy getting ready for GZG-ECC),
but its
> > completely plausible to wonder how the heck you would extract a SAW
from a dead
> > body especially if it's on a gyromount and get it on you instead, as
well as how
> > long would that take and what's the best way to simulate that in a
SG2 game
> > since it is something that happens plenty of times. For many THAT IS
the fun of
> > this board and the game.
>
>   Well, since I've never had to extract a heavy weapon from a
gyromount
> after my buddy sucked down a bit too much plasma, I guess I can't
really
> contribute much to the discussion.  :)

    You're free to contribute to the discussion without having
experienced the
gyromount problem.  That's hardly a requirement.  However, thinking
about how you'd go
about such a procedure certainly is.

-Mike

--
Michael Sarno

http://vietnam.isonfire.com
Check out the Charlie Company Discussion Group:
Info, resources, and links for RAFM's miniatures
skirmish wargame of infantry combat in Vietnam 1965-1972

"Tradition refuses to submit to the small and
 arrogant oligarchy of those who merely happen
 to be walking about."
 -G.K. Chesterton

Prev: Re: Final Uploads for GZG-ECC III Next: Re: do GMS/P troopers carry ARs?