Prev: Re: Was: Re: do GMS/P troopers carry ARs? BUT is actually more about the nature of Time Next: Re: do GMS/P troopers carry ARs?

Re: Jon, we need an Official Ruling! (was Re: SG2 newbie Q)

From: Ground Zero Games <jon@g...>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 14:19:33 +0000
Subject: Re: Jon, we need an Official Ruling! (was Re: SG2 newbie Q)

<msarno@ptdprolog.net>
>wrote:
>
>>    The big problem is the following statement from p 16:
>>
>>"One of the key uses of actually having command elements... present on
>>the table
>>is that in certain circumstances they can 'transfer' one or both of
their
>>actions... down their chain of command to a subordinate unit or
units..."

>>Which could be reasonably edited to read:
>>"One of the key uses of actually having command elements... present on
>>the table
>>is that in certain circumstances they can
>>'transfer' both of their actions... down their chain of command to a
>>subordinate
>>unit."
>
>Well, my English courses hit me on this. If you look at it another way,
the
>"transfer one or both of their actions" attaches to "to a subordinate
unit or
>units". Or, said another way, "...they can 'transfer' one action down
their
>chain of command to a subordinate unit, or both of their actions to
>subordinate units". In strict English, that's how the sentence (in what
>remember from English) should be parsed.
>
>Of course, it makes for horrible rules syntax. *S* We need a ruling
from Jon
>on this!

The way you put it above is right, as far as the original intention is
concerned. One command unit may use one action to reactivate a single
subordinate unit, or both its actions to reactivate two DIFFERENT
subordinate units.  Each subordinate unit may only be reactivated once
by
its immediate command element per turn.
Now, if you also have higher-level command elements on the board, this
raises the question that if they reactivate a lower-level command unit,
may
that unit then pass activations on to their subordinates again IF they
have
already done so in their own activations (eg: 1st platoon command unit
activates as normal, and passes reactivatons to 1st platoon squads A and
B.
Now the Company command element activates, and uses an action to
reactivate
the 1st platoon commander - the question is can the platoon commander
now
reactivate A and B squads again or not?). My initial reaction was to say
no, but on thinking it over I really don't see why not - provided you
limit
it strictly to the chain of command, the most activations any single
squad
can get is equal to the number of command levels on the table, which
will
almost never exceed three (squad, platoon, company).
So, to add another bit to the rule above:
One command unit may use one action to reactivate a single subordinate
unit, or both its actions to reactivate two DIFFERENT subordinate units.
Each subordinate unit may only be reactivated once by its immediate
command
unit per turn, UNLESS the command unit is itself reactivated by a
higher-level command unit.

Now, the bit about "all transferred actions being resolved at the same
time" is actually meant to mean that all reactivations by a particular
command unit occur and are resolved immediately, before the opponent
takes
his next activation, rather that being stored up for use later in the
turn.

If this is clear enough, I'll get back to work on the FB2 now.... ;-)

Jon (GZG)