Prev: Re: [SG] at 15mm Next: Re: SG2 newbie Q

Jon, we need an Official Ruling! (was Re: SG2 newbie Q)

From: Allan Goodall <agoodall@i...>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 22:20:13 -0500
Subject: Jon, we need an Official Ruling! (was Re: SG2 newbie Q)

On Sat, 19 Feb 2000 07:02:55 -0500, Michael Sarno <msarno@ptdprolog.net>
wrote:

>    The big problem is the following statement from p 16:
>
>"One of the key uses of actually having command elements... present on
the table
>is that in certain circumstances they can 'transfer' one or both of
their
>actions... down their chain of command to a subordinate unit or
units..."

>Which could be reasonably edited to read:
>"One of the key uses of actually having command elements... present on
the table
>is that in certain circumstances they can
>'transfer' both of their actions... down their chain of command to a
subordinate
>unit."

Well, my English courses hit me on this. If you look at it another way,
the
"transfer one or both of their actions" attaches to "to a subordinate
unit or
units". Or, said another way, "...they can 'transfer' one action down
their
chain of command to a subordinate unit, or both of their actions to
subordinate units". In strict English, that's how the sentence (in what
remember from English) should be parsed.

Of course, it makes for horrible rules syntax. *S* We need a ruling from
Jon
on this!

So, the question for Jon is... how many times can a unit be activated by
command squad or squads through the transfer of actions?

>    Being activated multiple times does give the activated squad the
use of many
>more actions, but it is at the expense of the leader activating other
squads or
>taking other actions.

I find the biggest problem is that it makes it too easy to keep one
squad from
EVER getting suppressed. It makes for a "super squad" instead of forcing
the
use of other squads.

>    Here's the real problem I'm having with limiting the transfer of
actions.  Way
>back in the 1900s, we used to take these little tactical marches
wearing fatigues,
>full canteens, with bayonets on the web belts, and carrying M14 rifles.

Jon mentions movement in the book. Movement, even combat movement, is
not
considered to be the maximum easily achieved. It's considered to be what
is
average when the troops are hugging terrain and being careful not to get
shot.
And 80% of reality isn't bad since Jon never does give a time scale for
turn. 5 minutes a turn in SG2 is only a rough estimate. It could be 2
minutes,
or it could be 10, depending on what happens.

Allan Goodall		       agoodall@interlog.com
Goodall's Grotto: http://www.interlog.com/~agoodall/

Prev: Re: [SG] at 15mm Next: Re: SG2 newbie Q