Prev: Re: Alternate history[Here's my Timeline](long) Next: Re: Alternate history[Here's my Timeline](long)

Re: SG2 newbie Q

From: Michael Sarno <msarno@p...>
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2000 12:37:06 -0500
Subject: Re: SG2 newbie Q

"Glover, Owen" wrote:

> I don't know if we need to make too much of the time scale. Jon T
> states in his first chapter "....the game turn may be safely assumed
> to occupy one or even several minutes of elapsed time. If it is
> necessary....treat each full turn as....5 minutes." He's also talked
> about this on the list more than once and really the time isn't
> necessarily going to be a consistent quantity on the game board.

    But the quantity is listed in the rules and is mentioned as a
reasonable average.  I'm just trying to analyze this situation with an
eye towards all rules in the book.  I don't think every turn takes 5
minutes, but since it's a realiable average, it seems like a good place
to make our reality check for this situation.

> Also, I'm not sure if comparing the time/scale of an administrative
> move to the stop/start nature of a fire fight; which is what the SG
> game is meant to be. The forced march which you were referring to will
> have likely taken place on the way to the place of the battle (which
> is the game table).

    It seems perfectly reasonable to draw the analogy between the speed
of a tactical march and travel move in SGII.  You're only going to
attempt travel move when you really need to get somewhere and are
reasonably sure that you are secure, or your security just isn't as
important as speed.  Often times, this "administrative move" will extend
onto the table itself and have a turn or two of travel move which ends
once contact is imminent.  I've seen these kinds of travel moves occur
in a number of games; one even occurred at GZG-ECC II.

-Mike

--
Michael Sarno

http://vietnam.isonfire.com
Check out the Charlie Company Discussion Group:
Info, resources, and links for RAFM's miniatures
skirmish wargame of infantry combat in Vietnam 1965-1972

"Tradition refuses to submit to the small and
 arrogant oligarchy of those who merely happen
 to be walking about."
 -G.K. Chesterton

Prev: Re: Alternate history[Here's my Timeline](long) Next: Re: Alternate history[Here's my Timeline](long)