Prev: RE: SG2 newbie Q Next: Re: SG2 newbie Q

Re: Alternate history[Here's my Timeline](long)

From: Brian Quirt <baqrt@m...>
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2000 11:53:38 -0400
Subject: Re: Alternate history[Here's my Timeline](long)

> 2014: Qubec votes for independence, and Canada evaporates overnight,
with
> the Maratime Provinces joining the US, Newfoundland rejoining the UK,
> Ontario calling itself "Canada" and BC, Alberta, Manitoba and the
Yukon
> forming a "Northwest Alliance".
>
> This happens in my VERY different timeline too, or something similar.
> However, Nova Scotia and Newfoundland actually join with Scotland,
Ireland,
> and Wales in the Celtic Confederation, B.C. joins large sections of
Oregon,
> Washington, and Northern California in the nation of Cascadia, and the
> Yukon, Central Provinces, the US Plains States and the Southwest are
> returned to Native Peoples.

This I find a better possibility than the above. I don't see the
Maritime provinces joining the States- not even by 2014. It's FAR more
likely that they would join Scotland/etc, (and, I think, more likely
still that Canada would survive, at least for some time, after a Quebec
separation). As for Ontario calling itself Canada, I think I can safely
say that many Ontarians (myself included- I'm in the Maritimes for
University) ALREADY think of ourselves essentially as being the whole of
Canada (and you can take that as seriously as you want to). As for BC,
Alberta, Manitoba, and the Yukon joining together, it's possible, but
what happened to Saskatchewan? After all, it IS between Alberta and
Manitoba. To be honest, though, while I can see Alberta and Saskatchewan
getting together, I think that Manitoba is somewhat less likely, and
that BC and the Yukon are much less likely. I also find it interesting
that no one mentioned the Northwest Territories or Nunavut (which is, in
itself, ALMOST an example of a fairly large (although also fairly
empty/undeveloped) piece of land being given back to its natives (with
strings attached) ).

Just my views (not criticism- just observations),
Brian Quirt

Prev: RE: SG2 newbie Q Next: Re: SG2 newbie Q