Prev: RE: Where's the Cheese? AND new 25mmGZG Halftrack! Next: Re: Where's the Cheese?

Re: SG2 newbie Q

From: Michael Sarno <msarno@p...>
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2000 07:02:55 -0500
Subject: Re: SG2 newbie Q

Allan Goodall wrote:

> The first paragraph implies that a unit can get a single "extra"
activation
> each turn from a transferred action. The fourth paragraph implies that
if a
> command unit wants to use both actions to activate subordinate units,
they
> both have to be different units and the roll is resolved
simultaneously.

    Thanks for the detailed quote.  I see your point.  I've never read
the rules
that way, but what you say is perfectly valid.	We might just be
changing the way
we play SGII around here. <g>  But the rules don't specifically state
one way or
the other, that you can't attempt to activate the same squad twice with
one
leader's activation.  By your interpretation, though, it is certainly
reasonable
to assume that activating a squad two times in a row is not allowed.

> Now, this is IMPLIED, not explicitly stated. It's one of the few true
> ambiguities in the game. I took it to mean only one extra activation
per squad
> per turn.

    Well, at least one extra activation per squad per leader's
activation.

> A couple of the guys I talked to about this at GenCon agreed. I'm
> curious if this is how the group took it, and whether or not this
should be an
> official pronouncement...

    The big problem is the following statement from p 16:

"One of the key uses of actually having command elements... present on
the table
is that in certain circumstances they can 'transfer' one or both of
their
actions... down their chain of command to a subordinate unit or
units..."

Which could be reasonably edited to read:
"One of the key uses of actually having command elements... present on
the table
is that in certain circumstances they can
'transfer' both of their actions... down their chain of command to a
subordinate
unit."

    Being activated multiple times does give the activated squad the use
of many
more actions, but it is at the expense of the leader activating other
squads or
taking other actions.

    Here's the real problem I'm having with limiting the transfer of
actions.  Way
back in the 1900s, we used to take these little tactical marches wearing
fatigues,
full canteens, with bayonets on the web belts, and carrying M14 rifles.
It was
not uncommon to make a mile in 20 minutes.  Now that's 1.6 km or 1600m
in 20
minutes.  In SGII, 20 minutes could be as few as 4 turns.  So that's
about 400m
per turn, which further translates to 40" on the table in one turn.
Let's assume
that we were classified as "very light troops" so we got the 8" movement
rate.  We
were certainly in travel mode, so we could move 16" with one action.  On
our own,
i.e. without the transfer of activations, we could only expect to move
32" in a
turn, which is only 80% of a rate I know we sustained routinely for up
to 60
minutes.

-Mike

--
Michael Sarno

http://vietnam.isonfire.com
Check out the Charlie Company Discussion Group:
Info, resources, and links for RAFM's miniatures
skirmish wargame of infantry combat in Vietnam 1965-1972

"Tradition refuses to submit to the small and
 arrogant oligarchy of those who merely happen
 to be walking about."
 -G.K. Chesterton

Prev: RE: Where's the Cheese? AND new 25mmGZG Halftrack! Next: Re: Where's the Cheese?