Prev: Re: [GZG-ECC] What to bring to GZG ECC Next: [DSII] Marketing alternate minis

Re: [FT] Fighters

From: JohnDHamill@a...
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 16:55:06 EST
Subject: Re: [FT] Fighters

In a message dated 2/18/00 9:25:00 AM Central Standard Time,
books@mail.state.fl.us writes:

<< I guess if you force bases it wouldn't be that bad, but I'm just
thinking
 my current campaign.

 I'm bringing in 6 fighter squadrons on 2 CVL's and a BDN, I also have
 a missile cruiser (10 SMR).  I don't know what my opponent has but
 I know he outpoints me by about 30%.  If I had FTL fighters I would be
 adding 12 squadrons to the mix from the two jump-point connected
worlds.
 It makes carriers rather superfluous.

 That would be a major difference and I would probably trounce him as
 he has very little in the way of fixed defenses that connect to the
 contested world for fighters of his own.

Anybody who stints defenses in a campaign game deserves to have the
mistake
rammed straight down their throat. I used to play Starfire campaigns,
and the
first thing you learn to do is to build up your system defenses.
Unfortunately, i learned that from very painful experience, as the first

campaign i was in my defenses were arranged on my frontiers, and very
little
in my core systems. A very powerful player task force, consisting of
several
other players fleets ( never brag to the other players :-) ) broke thru
my
defenses and rolled up my core systems, one by one. A very hard
lesson...
As far as balancing the points out, make them more expensive than they
would
be for a ship of the same size, and make them expendable, example: for a
mass
one ship (i know they're not really possible, but for the example...)
the
cost for FTL would be 2 points, and it would be good for the life of the

ship. With FTL packs for fighters, charge 4 points, and they only work
twice,
after that they burn out. In a campaign, if you used thes you would have
replace them after every time they left base and came back, kind of
expensive, but worth it for the occasional raid or all-out battle...

John
JohnDHamill@aol.com

Prev: Re: [GZG-ECC] What to bring to GZG ECC Next: [DSII] Marketing alternate minis