Prev: Re: [FT PBeM] question Next: FT: Very new to this

RE: [FT PBeM] question

From: "Bell, Brian K" <Brian_Bell@d...>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 10:53:39 -0500
Subject: RE: [FT PBeM] question

Yes, I too had this situation in my PBeM.

I rotated the turn sequence to:
  1. Write Orders (Fire and Movement for Ships, Fighters, and Missiles
	  including any proposed secondary Fighter movement)
  2. Secondary Fighter Movement
  3. Fighter vs Fighter/Fighter vs Missile Combat
  4. PDS
  5. Fighter/Missile vs Ship Combat
  6. Ship vs Ship Combat
  7. Repair
  8. Movement (Ship and Fighter according to orders in phase 1).
  9. Game Turn Report

I also allowed Fighters that were within 6" of a ship to perform a
'Shadow Movement'. This is the opposite of Screening a ship.
Attacking Fighters copied the course and speed of the ship they
were attacking. For regular games this is prohibited (FTFB1 p.6),
but for PBeM it worked great because fighters that wanted
to intercept them would know EXACTLY where they would be the
next turn if they continued to shadow the ship (i.e. the same
clockface and distance from the shadowed ship)..

I allowed fighters to screen other fighters.

I also made fighter to fighter combat a dogfight if one player's
fighters listed another player's fighters as the target (unless
the targeted player's fighters had indicated that they would
use secondary movement to avoid the first fighters).

I used Jon Davis' excellent spreadsheet for the game.
I HIGHLY recommend this to anyone who is going to
run a PBeM. I also took his Vector calculator and
reverse engineered it to create a spreadsheet to help with
missile and fighter movement (if you know where you
are and know that you want to get to X,Y, it will give you
course and distance). This allowed me to use Jon Davis'
spreadsheet to keep track of fighter groups and have
FTMAP	still provide course information for them.
If any one would like this, please
let me know at the E-mail address below.

-----
Brian Bell
bkb@beol.net
-----