Prev: Re: Kravak Scenario idea Next: Re: RFACs Vs Infantry

Re: RFACs Vs Infantry

From: "Christopher Pratt" <valen@g...>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 06:52:18 -0500
Subject: Re: RFACs Vs Infantry

----- Original Message -----
From: <adrian.johnson@sympatico.ca>
To: <gzg-l@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>
Sent: Friday, February 11, 2000 12:45 AM

> >Having played with the vechicles over the last few months, I have
found
them
> >to be ineffective against infantry.	I thought that FSV like the
M163AV
> >would be more effective against infantry.  An idea that I propose is
that
> >the RFAC/1 and only the RFAC/1 is given a D12 impact vs infantry.
This
is
> >based on the assumption that the RFAC is similar to a Vulcan cannon
which
> >lays down a wall of fire.  It might not be the best suited against
infantry
> >but when you spit out 6K rounds a minute, its going to hurt.  This
would
> >make them worth while to but on gun ships, anti-infantry vehicles and
the
> >like.  What do people think?
>
> Well, an RFAC/1 is an autocannon in the 20mm cal range.  I don't like
that
> these have impact d8 vs. infantry either.  If it is a 30mm firing
single
> shots that are basically explosive (so the troops are taking explosive
> damage primarily, not impact damage from the rounds) then that makes
more
> sense.  But if you hose an infantry unit with a Vulcan cannon, it's
going
> to make a big mess.
>
> In our games, I say the RFAC/1 gets its base impact vs. infantry (d10)
> compensate for the fact that I figure a lot of rounds are being fired.
> Larger weapons use the d8 max impact limitation.  I use the base
impact
> (d12) for Gauss autocannons against infantry for the same reason -
lots of
> rounds impacting the target area.
>
> Adrian

>From my reading of the rules, it looked like the fire power die would
be the
problem versus infantry, the firepower die is based off the guidance
system
of the vehicle (basic being a d6), that seems sorta low for a wall of
lead
being sent into a squad of infantry...

Later
Christopher Pratt
valen@gatecom.com
----
------------------
For me, when I look at the world, I see that social change is driven by
emergent technologies. And emergent technologies are almost NEVER
legislated
into emerging -- they just emerge. Consequently, social change is out of
control, and it doesn't actually seem to work very well unless we ALLOW
it
to be out of control. When we allow it to be out of control, we end up
with
something like the Internet... -- William Gibson

Prev: Re: Kravak Scenario idea Next: Re: RFACs Vs Infantry