Prev: Re: [DS2] K'rathri armor designs - first SWAG Next: RE: [DS2] K'rathri armor designs - first SWAG

Re: FT miniatures

From: "Robin Paul" <Robin.Paul@t...>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 02:43:57 -0000
Subject: Re: FT miniatures

> From: "Robin Paul" <Robin.Paul@tesco.net>
>  Subject: FT: 2 ships from TV
>  Irregular a DYC8, "Confederation Dreadnought/Supercarrier Guardian
Class
Enforcer" is the Battlestar
>  Galactica, about 75mm long, and £2.40,
>  DYO16 "UNSC Backdraft Patrol Cruiser" is Fireball XL-5, 41mm long
SNIP>  Rob Paul

I'm interested in acquring those.    How are they in terms of detail and
finish?
SNIPGlen

DYO16 (Fireball XL5) is a one piece casting, quite clean but with fairly
minimal detail; the hull is cylindrical for almost its whole length.
The
proportions of the wings, fins etc are good, although the main fin is a
bit
big.  The cockpit blister on the upper hull is rendered as a small
smooth
hemisphere. There is a faint line denoting the transparent part of the
nose
section (Fireball Junior) and another marking the join between XL5 and
Junior.  The main rocket nozzle is present, as are the small engines
around
the dtern and on the endplate fins, albeit in very simple form. Judging
from
the 4-view of XL5 at
http://www.aiai.ed.ac.uk/~bat/GA/fireball-specs.html
 the Irregular model appears to be 1/3000 scale near as dammit.  Will I
buy
another? Yes.

Phil Atcliffes's comments on the DYC8, "Confederation ..Guardian Class
Enforcer" are exactly right; after looking at the plans on
http://www.monumental.com/mnjs/ships/ I now think of her as a "near
galactica".  Major differences include:
1) the 3 main regions of the hull are a bow which is a truncated
triangle
20mm x 17 x 5; a rectangular mid section, 36mm x 10 x 5; a rectangular
(in
plan) engine section, 20mm x 19 x 8.
2) Hangar pods 34mm x 5.5 x 3, are on 2 thin beams across the underside
of
the midsection.
3) In profile, she lacks the nose down, tail up look of BG; she can be
seen
in the Irreg. Confed. fleet on the Ainsty pages.
The mini has lots of raised panels and domes, crisper than usual from
Irregular. I'll buy more.

While I'm at it- DY0-1 is a Trek (TOS) style shuttle,  DY0-6 Attack
fighter
is triangular, DY0-7 Interceptor is a disk, DY0-8 torp. fighter is boxy;
allFT fighter size. DYB-8 is a near-Lexx (body 32mm, 51mm tail)

In case anyone thinks I do nothing but praise Irreg., those wanting
cybertanks should leave their 6mm Land Dreadnaught SFEQ3 well alone-
it's
basically the casemate of an ACW river ironclad (eg USS Benton) with 3
small
turrets and carted around on 4 T-72 hulls;  (their 2mm equivalent is a
6mm
LVTP-5 with gubbins on top, mine is now a command vehicle for DS2).

Sorry for the length.

Rob Paul

Prev: Re: [DS2] K'rathri armor designs - first SWAG Next: RE: [DS2] K'rathri armor designs - first SWAG