Prev: Re: FT: 2 ships from TV Next: Re: What? No way...

RE: FT: Strikeboat design

From: GBailey@a...
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2000 11:06:34 EST
Subject: RE: FT: Strikeboat design

Boat designs with the Fleet Book in mind:
One problem with a one hit point boat is that one PDS has 1 in 6
chance to take it out.	Granted, a PDS has only a range of 6"
but many boat designs have short ranged weapons.  Ships tend
to have more than 1 PDS so if not firing at fighters or missiles
many PDS can shoot at many targets (PDS do not require a FC).
So much for overwhelming FCs.
I usually try to put at least 1 armor point on a boat which also
eliminates the 4-5 roll on a beam die from taking it out.

Also, it doesn't take much to knock out a weapon on a boat.  One
or two hits and you've permanently lost part of your firepower.  A large

ship has to take a bit of damage before it loses firepower.  And a large

ship has improved capabilities to fix damage and recover that lost
firepower.

I did design a torpedo boat, but at a mass of 14, cost 50, with main
drive of 6 and FTL drive.
It doesn't pay to not put in an FTL drive since the mass requirement
is so low.  I've designed "battle riders" but it just doesn't pay for
the
reduction in FTL capabilities if you want to play a campaign.

Glen

Prev: Re: FT: 2 ships from TV Next: Re: What? No way...