Prev: Re: "No Roll to Hit" Next: Re: Bowing out

RE: No Munchkin Zone

From: Tom Anderson <thomas.anderson@u...>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2000 15:04:52 +0000 (GMT)
Subject: RE: No Munchkin Zone

On Tue, 8 Feb 2000, Bell, Brian K wrote:

> From: colin.plummer@theplanet.net [SMTP:colin.plummer@theplanet.net]
>
> >  The definition of munchkin in York (UK) seems to be anyone who a)
> > exploits
> > the system to get a better [character,gun,ship] or b) someone who
brags
> > about
> > their [character,ship,gun] that some nameless GM foolishly allowed
'lookit
> > my
> > 50th level mage-thief-cleric-warrior' and so on.
>
> Ahhh. Another cultural difference. Munchkin is slang in US (at least
my
> area) for anyone under the age of 16 (usually refers to a pre-teen or
> younger).

really? it's remarkable that there's been so little confusion over this!

> I was also aware of the mini-maxer conitation. But was afraid that the
> broader sense may have been intended in the statement. I am glad to
see that
> it is not.

i think the UK definition of a munchkin would feature the term 'cheesy':
munchkin will twist the rules of a system to gain an advantage, even
though it's Just Not Cricket. they'll do it by exploiting loopholes or
irregularities to create powerful ships/armies/characters; compare to a
min/maxer, who is usually more mathematical, and to a rules lawyer, who
will use sensible forces, but twist the rules so that they have an
advantage ("actually, it doesn't say you can't use pulse torpedoes
against
fighters ...", although that's a naff example). the munchkin's main
decision rule is 'whatever gets the most pluses'.

see:

http://www.webrpg.com/survey/results20.phtml
http://members.tripod.com/DiceTales/munchtest.html

tom

Prev: Re: "No Roll to Hit" Next: Re: Bowing out