Prev: RE: Poll: HBs and Armour Next: Re: Tanks

Re: [FT] Unified "to hit" (was: RE: "No Roll to Hit")

From: Sean Bayan Schoonmaker <schoon@a...>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2000 11:32:14 -0800
Subject: Re: [FT] Unified "to hit" (was: RE: "No Roll to Hit")

>One of the flaws in the otherwise great FT system is that there is
>no ONE way to determine a hit. Granted, this actually leads to
>faster game play once the rules are learned since you usually only
>have to roll 1 die per weapon. But this also means that no one defense
>can be effective against all weapons without writing a number of
>exceptions.

I actually do not see this as a flaw so much as a feature.

The varied methods of yielding either "to-hit" or damage give rise to
the
great variety of tactics and design possibilities.

Even though the methods may differ, most can still be quantified using
the
same statistics (SMLs being the sole exception I'm aware of).

If all weapons used a unified system, and range, chance to-hit, and
damage
were the only variables, I would be uncomfortably reminded of AD&D, to
whit: a dagger and broadsword are only differentiated by the amount of
damage they do.

Schoon

Prev: RE: Poll: HBs and Armour Next: Re: Tanks