Prev: RE: Looking for Cybertank Figure...... Next: RE: Poll on HB Items

Re: SG2: scenario with the UN

From: "Scott Spieker" <scspieker@n...>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2000 09:30:38 -0500
Subject: Re: SG2: scenario with the UN

> Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2000 22:17:47 -0800
> From: Chris Connor <con9570@flash.net>
> Subject: SG2: scenario with the UN
>
> Anyone have any ideas for scenarios involving the UN?  I have a game
tomorrow
> friday the 4th.  I need the Ideas by 4:00 pm on the said day.  I would
really
> appreciate a challenging scenario with the U.N..  Thanks.

Chris,
    Here is something that I have brewed up for a two to three player
game.
The scenario includes three forces, the UN (or it's equivalent) being
one of
them.

OPERATION SAFE-ZONE:
    The UN has been called into the bloody battle for supremacy over New
Gabon, the capital city of DM+13 1454, also known as Wolf-454.	The IF
have
made claims that 'racial cleansing has been taking place within the
predominantly NAC colony.
    Wolf-454 has been the scene for a number of clashes between a number
of
different factions throughout it's fifty year life span.  Now that the
NAC
have rested control of the colonial world from the Alien Kra'Vak a
steady
peace has been the norm for well over five years.  Now with the reports
of
ethnic cleansing running rampant, the Islamic Federation has made a bold
attempt to form a 'safe harbor' for those 1.5 million civilians who are
effectively trapped within the capital city of New Gabon.
    Only five months ago did the Islamic Federation plead with the UN to
send in  peace keeping forces to allow a safe route out of New Gabon
through
the war torn region immediately surrounding New Gabon.	The NAC colonial
marines who were stationed in New Gabon as a token police and defense
force
have been faced with a number of hard bitten attacks from IF freedom
fighters and militia men.  Many of the IF freedom fighters spring up
within
the Islamic population of New Gabon effectively putting the NAC forces
at
arms with almost all of the Islamic populace.  The entire colony is ripe
for
full revolution, which is not uncommon for such an active spot along the
colonial frontier, not to mention the mineral resources that are
believed to
exist but have not been fully realized yet because of the turbulence of
war
and alien invasion.

SG2 Scenario:
    This scenario is one based mainly on real-world situations, and so
is
best played with three players, but will work equally well with two to
four
players.  One player should play the UN forces, while the remainder will
take forces from either the NAC or the IF.  An impartial judge would be
best
suited to run this game as well.

IF Revolutionary forces:
TO&E Roughly follow IF rifle company:
http://peninsula.starway.net.au/~epowles/iforg.htm
This scenario calls for one ad-hoc line infantry platoon of three rifle
squads of 8 men, and one weapons section.
IF Rifle squad:
Each man wears the equivalent to a flak vest
- 8 men (regular or green troops - mainly formed by civilians)
== 5 men w/ Assault rifles (FP: 2, Impact: D8)
== 1 SAW gunner (FP: D10, Impact D8)
== 2 squad leader & asst. armed with SMGs (FP: 2, Impact: D6)
IF Weapons section:
- 5 men
== 2 armed with either GMSs or SAWs (remember these guys are
revolutionaries
and would probably have to steal most of their weapons from the NAC
forces)
== 3 men with Assault Rifles (FP:2, Impact: D8)

NAC Colonial Marine Security Force:
TO&E strictly follows NAC rifle platoon, reduced to half strength (as
listed
in the SG2 rule book).

UN Security/peace keeping forces:
TO&E strictly follow the UN Marine Corp:
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Nebula/2470/unorbat1.html
This scenario calls for two armored rifle sections (12 men total).
Each man wears a PCS-4 Infantry Hardsuit (Unpowered):
ARMOR TYPE: Full-Suit MOBILITY: Normal (D6 or 6")    ARMOR VALUE: D8
- 6 man rifle section, split into three teams of 2 each.
== 2 man command team (commander and commo) both armed with IPW-80 (FP:
3,
Impact D12)
== (2) 2 man rifle teams, 1 w/ SPW-82 (Squad Plasma Weapon FP: D10,
Impact
D12), 1 w/ IPW-80 (FP:3, I: D12)
== 2 Gallant Industries' M38 LIPPC Light Infantry Vehicle (stats found
in
SG2 rules).

CIVILIANS:
    As many as you can get.  All are unarmed and will be travelling
through
the game. (you said challenging, well this is one of them).

SETUP:
    This game should be played on a 4'x6'-8' table with a road roughly
cutting through the center of the table.  The NAC and IF forces will
deploy
in opposite corners of the table.  The civilians are of both NAC and
Islamic
mix, each of which will take to the side of the road that their forces
begin
the game on.  All civilians are trying to escape the fighting for New
Gabon
by fleeing down the main road to the landing field/make shift star port
in
an attempt to reach the UN security zone.
    The UN forces mission is to protect the civilians while trying to
maintain a neutral stance in the fighting that is going on around them.
The
UN player is not to engage either force unless they or either group of
civilians come under fire (see below on how the UN player can come under
fire).	The M38's drive down the middle of the road as best they can,
while
the security troops attempt to keep order between the two unhappy groups
of
refugees working their way down the road.
    The UN player also plays the refugees, which are extremely unhappy
with
the opposition's civilians walking so near them.  Each turn the UN
player
rolls for refugee reaction tests (like all other units).  Each group of
refugees start at SHAKEN status and work their way UP to CONFIDENT.
Each
time a successful reaction test is made, the group's confidence goes up
one
level.	When a refugee group reaches confident, they are whipped into a
furor and begin verbal and racially related taunts across the road.  If
an
Islamic group of civilians reaches confident, the UN player rolls a D12.
 On
a roll of 1, the group contains a human bomb! (see HUMAN BOMBS below).
If
no human bombs are present, a UN unit is between the offending refugees,
the
fun stops there.  If there is no UN unit between them, then a reaction
test
for both groups are made.  The unit that passes, rushes across the road
engage the other refugees in non-lethal close combat.  If a UN unit
moves
within 2" of the refugee combat(s), then both sides must make reaction
tests.	If the refugees pass, then the brawling continues.  If either or
both sides fail, the loosing side(s) immediately break off the assault
and
try to make for the closest cover (which will most likely be the
opposing
side's edge of the road.)  The loosing refugees morale again drops to
shaken
and continues their movement towards the security zones normally the
next
turn.
    The IF forces are only interested in destroying the NAC forces since
they are perceived as 'harassing' the refugees of Islamic dissent.  With
their lack of training and discipline, any shots which 'miss' their
target
are to be measured and rolled against the closest UN or refugee unit
(yes
even IF refugees!) whether it be an APC or infantry unit.
    The NAC forces are somewhat better organized, trained, and motivated
compared to their IF counter parts.  The NAC forces have been under
constant
pressure and attack by IF forces and have received a number of 'human
bomb'
attacks in recent weeks.  Any Islamic (IF rebel or refugee) which makes
threatening advance (combat move, or close assault) towards them will
immediately become a priority 1 target for fear of more human bomber
attacks.  All priority 1 targets should receive all available fire from
any
unactivated units within visual range of the assault.

HUMAN BOMBS:
  Human bombs attempt to DIRECTLY attack the nearest NAC unit or NAC
refugee
group (whichever is closest).  The human bomb pulls the preverbal pin
when
they are 'discovered' with the D12 roll and have only one action before
the
bomb detonates (the second action of their activation).
    The Human bomb rolls for combat move (2D6) and moves in a straight
line
towards the closest NAC group.	If that move is too short, or right into
the
middle of a UN unit, then all bets are off.  The UN forces will get into
the
fray at that point regardless of the outcome of the bomb attack.  Human
bombs have a blast RADIUS of 4".  Anyone caught within the radius takes
D12 impact test (armor saves are effective).  Any figures within 2"
radius
who fails their armor roll is automatically KIA.  Refugees are
considered to
have no armor.

THOUGHTS:
    I would love to hear the after battle report on this one.  The Human
Bomb idea hit me, and to make it more interesting I thought the number
rolled to discover a bomber could be upped a little to allow the UN
player
to get into the game a little more often.
    Having the UN player play the refugees keeps them playing, and since
most of the refugees actions are rolled for, he has little he can do to
control them other than move his forces closer (to a possible human bomb
attack...).  When and if the UN player gets to fight, he can make the
best
decision of who to support (if anyone.)  Their mission is to safeguard
the
refugees, so if they are to  get involved, they would probably just
shoot to
suppress rather than kill (I am assuming this), however I believe that
the
group can do whatever the commander decided...

Hope this helps,
Scott Spieker
scspieker@ncweb.com

Prev: RE: Looking for Cybertank Figure...... Next: RE: Poll on HB Items