Prev: Re: Tanks Next: Re: Tanks

Re: Heavy Beams - 3rd Attempt + Poll

From: "Izenberg, Noam" <Noam.Izenberg@j...>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2000 18:25:34 -0500
Subject: Re: Heavy Beams - 3rd Attempt + Poll

>>OTOH I _still_ like the one-size-fits-all emitter best. Again,
>>simpler=better.

><rant mode>
>Play balance!!! One size fits all is like FT2 hulls: it can't be
properly
>balanced and people can them take advantage of the loophole in the
>MASS/POINTS.
><rant mode off>

Never say can't. HBW's are Heavy Weapons - minimally equivalent to class
3's, P-torps and SML's. Fixing emitter price at say 2mass/6pts may be
inefficient for those that buy generators with 2 capacity, but then,
IMO, it
should be. Restrict the emitters to a single arc. With really big
generators, you might be getting "over efficient" but balance that
against
the base cost of the large generator and the double-system vulnerability
thresholds. Oerjan could weigh in on that.

Poll stuff:

Charging - I choose  Dean's method. 1/2 charge every turn. Fast, easy,
balanced.

As for Rerolls - No. 17% more damage (I think) w/o compensation and the
Infinite Range problem Seidl mentioned . If those two can be ansered
simply,
then Maybe, but I'm still not a big fan of random ship-killing systems.

I hate the to-hit roll idea flat out. Straight damage minus range minus
shields is a nifty way to do it and should stay.

Noam

Prev: Re: Tanks Next: Re: Tanks