Prev: Re: Tanks Next: Re: Tanks

Re: Binary Propellant Guns

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2000 22:23:53 +0100
Subject: Re: Binary Propellant Guns

Thomas Barclay of the Clan Barclay wrote:

> How about this for BP main gun on an AFV:
> 1: Find chemical that requires a lot of A (one inert element) and a
> little B (similar) to produce C (volatile)
> 2: Mix A and B prior to injection into the breech block to assure
even
> mix

This is pretty much how today's experimental BP guns work, yes. Hard to
find good As and Bs, though - stuff that are highly energetic while not
being poisonous, inflammable or has  some other unpleasant
characteristics.

> 3: Have a purge cycle (perhaps an electrostatic charge, perhaps an
air
> pressure or some electromag particle repulsion field) to clear excess
> propellant

Why would BP guns need this more than solid-propellant ones using
caseless rounds?

> 4: Go to an autoloader (it's about time).

Don't load anything you don't want to load, though...

> BP had the neat advantage of being able to meter the impulse per
round
> to allow better AP performance, better range, or better accuracy.

...if you can control the ignition and combustion process properly. So
far, that has been a rather big if :-(

>And Oerjan - stop bemoaning the weakness of the DS2 vehicle
>construction system. The SG2 system (DS2 lite I'd call it) is far
worse.

The SGII system is the DSII system with the points values taken out...

>I'd say "Get up there and write us a good one, oh numbers wizard who
>knows too much about modern AFVs...". :)

I began months ago, but certain other projects got in the way. Starfire
4th edition is one; the other is... secret <g> However, since I want
the DSII vehicle design system to be officially re-done in the FB1
style, I'll take any chance to indoctrinate Jon (and the list) about
the need for it first ;-)

>Seriously, has anyone taken a look at BTRCs GunsGunsGuns! (3G)

Not even heard of the company. Web page?

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
- Hen3ry