Prev: Re: New NAC ship and a cheese question Next: Re: EFSB: Heavy Beams

Re: [FT] Heavy Beams

From: Beth Fulton <beth.fulton@m...>
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2000 08:29:56 +1000
Subject: Re: [FT] Heavy Beams

G'day guys,

>OK, I've done the number crunching on these for balance and have come
up
>with something balanced fairly evenly, using Pulse Torpedos as a
basis...

<snip>

>The BPS generates power at the beginning of each turn , During Setp 1:
>Write Orders for All Ships. The BPS rolls two dice for each class
rating,
>which are scored like Beam dice. The result is the number of EPs added
>the BPS's capacitor, up to its maximum. For example, on a Class 2 BPS
the
>rolls are 2, 3, 5, and 6 (re-roll of 3). This generates (0+0+1+2) 3
EPs.

I like that idea!

>When taking damage and a BPS fails a threshold check, they are not
>automatically knocked out of commission. Instead, after failing the
>threshold, roll one die:
>1-2	BPS looses all stored EPs
>3-5	BPS looses all stored EPs and its EP capacity is halved (the
second
>time this result is rolled causes destruction, as rolling a 6)
>6	BPS destroyed (any stored EPs are scored as additional damage!)

In Schoons defense Tony this is how they come out of EFSB (but you
probably
already knew that) and I haven't found that it slows threshold checks
much
at all as you don't usually have many capacitors per ship (most I've got
is
3, usually only 1).

>Beam Power System:
>Class 1	4 MASS	12 POINT COST
>Class 2	8 MASS	24 POINT COST
>Class 3	16 MASS 48 POINT COST
>...the progression follows as for Beam weapons.

Could you please send me your numbers on this Schoon? I've never
'crunched
the numbers' on this problem but from the games I've played I would've
thought this costing was on the high side. My 3xrating may be too low
but
how about 4x instead? Then again I guess I use the old energy allocation
system so maybe you end up with more EPs your way and so it needs to
cost
more.

Cheers

Beth

----
----
Elizabeth Fulton
c/o CSIRO Division of Marine Research
GPO Box 1538
HOBART
TASMANIA 7001
AUSTRALIA
Phone (03) 6232 5018 International +61 3 6232 5018
Fax 03 6232 5053 International +61 3 6232 5053

email: beth.fulton@marine.csiro.au

Prev: Re: New NAC ship and a cheese question Next: Re: EFSB: Heavy Beams