Prev: RE: SG2: GMS/P vs air units Next: Re: Tanks vs. APCs

Tank Sizes

From: "Thomas.Barclay" <Thomas.Barclay@s...>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 13:43:30 -0500
Subject: Tank Sizes

Someone commented about tanks getting smaller. Silhoutte wise, I'd
agree.
I'm not sure this is totally true though in mass. Or crew. You might
drop 1
crew. But a tank with fewer crew had better be mechanically more
reliable
and easier to maintain. Part of the reason for a big crew complement is
maintenance.

You realize there is a trend towards heavier ordinance? Some new designs
(not counting the ones loosely based around lasers or railguns) are
talking
about 130-140mm main ordinance? Heck, they've got 105mm mounted on an
8x8
and I understand someone is working on (may be done) a 120mm turret for
an
8x8 wheeled chassis. If these upgunned FSVs can carry that kind of
ordinance, a tank probably should be going bigger or nastier.

It'll be interesting to see if we ever get a Hammer's Slammer blower or
tanks are done away with in favour of other weapons systems. I suspect
this
argument is a lot like the BB/Aircraft Carrier debates. Only time will
tell
us what will actually transpire.

<PERPLEXED>
BTW: What part of Jon's comment about "reply to me off list" did all you
15mm-hungry gamers miss? Was the instruction too complicated? Not that
the
list doesn't waste BW on other things from time to time, but Jon T
specifically asked for everyone to keep their replies off list and send
them
to him....
</PERPLEXED>

Thomas Barclay
Software UberMensch
xwave solutions
(613) 831-2018 x 3008

Prev: RE: SG2: GMS/P vs air units Next: Re: Tanks vs. APCs