Prev: Re: An apology for the unwashed Re: Heard at The Local Game Store ... Next: Publication, was Re:apology for the unwashed

Re: An apology for the unwashed Re: Heard at The Local Game Store ...

From: "J Sadler" <jsadler@e...>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2000 23:45:39 +1100
Subject: Re: An apology for the unwashed Re: Heard at The Local Game Store ...

>	 I'm not sure where I come down on this argument; I haven't  and
probably
>won't take the time to examine the difference between the profit
potential
of
>both methods.	However, how does contracting out the work create "a
logistical
>and moral nightmare"?	Isn't this how 99% of all publishers run their
business?
>It's not like the suggestion is far fetched and pushing GZG into
unexplored
>territory.

I dare say my words were stronger than I meant...

... Everything on this list is, as I understand, taken "carte blanche"
to be
the property of GZG. Jon may take these ideas etc and put them into GZG
products, credit the author, and make money himself - though having some
experience in publishing (I publish a magazine) I know that actually
paying
yourself can come near last in the small end of the business.

Now, depending upon where BDS is right now, Jon would have to hand over
his
notes/ideas etc to another author to put them together and possibly put
their own interpretation upon it.

Jon and this author would have to come to some sort of arrangement,
based
upon effort, time, foreseen profit etc. Given that the author would
(probably) be someone involved in the GZG world (and probably this list)
they would have a want to help out as much as possible for little
payment.

As I write this, I realise that I'm not sure what the hell I'm talking
about. :)

I guess my point in the end is that as a substantial amount of effort
would
be on the part of the author of BDS, this person would expect a
substantial
part of the reward. Thus, GZG (and Jon) would see a lot less of this
same
reward. Thus incentive for Jon to contract out such work would be very
low -
because he needs every cent he can get.

Now, to untangle my thoughts enough so that I can face tomorrow! :)

Please forgive me, it's late. :)

JS

PS If it did come down to it, I'd gladly offer my assistance to get BDS
up
and going... :)