Prev: RE: SG II Paradrop, orbital drop Next: RE: Demoing SG2 (was Re: An apology for the unwashed)

Re: SG II Paradrop, orbital drop

From: Ryan M Gill <monty@a...>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 17:00:32 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: SG II Paradrop, orbital drop

On Wed, 26 Jan 2000, Cleats Balentine wrote:

> All right, I used an air drop for just the second time
> over the weekend, and my opponent sprung a rule change
> on me from what we have played in the past.
>
> In the rules section that covers the drops, it says
> that when a '1' is rolled, the soldier is wounded just
> like if the squad had been fired upon. So, my opponent
> says that means they get a suppression. If sarge buys
> it in the drop, two suppressions.

Typically a drop into a hot LZ (para drops) results in a fubared op. See

the landing into Arnham, some of the off target landings on D-Day (St
Mere Egliese I think?). Usually if there is any resistance its a couple
of guys way off on the other side of the field firing with a GPMG at
extreme range. Not a whole platoon or company shooting you up as you
come
down.

The argument for the supressions does sorta make sense, but you should
have already dropped, and it would be moot.

I see it this way, the drop occurs, Pltn Sgt, breaks his leg. The team
spends 5 minutes fixing the sgt up and sets him up in a hollow where he
can
camp until extraction. Then they move one with the mission.

If its an inserstion via VTOL, then the likely hood of breaking your leg

getting out is less (though I guess it can happen people break their
necks walking down their stairs at home).

I just have a problem with the small insertion going into a hot LZ from
the start. Combat Air Drops always go bad when the Airborne get swatted
in the LZ. They play this out at NTC and there is always a grace period
where the Red force can't swat the Airborne with Artillery in the LZ.
Mostly their ability to swat the airborne with the artillery comes from
having their s**t together. Problem is it builds an expectation with the

paras, that they won't have a hot LZ.

- Ryan Montieth Gill	  NRA / DoD# 0780 (Smug #1) / AMA / SOHC -
- ryan.gill@turner.com	    I speak not for CNN, nor they for me -
- rmgill@mindspring.com 	     www.mindspring.com/~rmgill/ -
- '85 Honda CB700S  -  '72 Honda CB750K  - '76 Chevy MonteCarlo  -

Prev: RE: SG II Paradrop, orbital drop Next: RE: Demoing SG2 (was Re: An apology for the unwashed)