Prev: Re: What is FMA? - Shame on you Jon T! Next: RE: Demoing SG2 (was Re: An apology for the unwashed)

Re: Could someone make me decals?

From: -MWS- <mshurtleff1@u...>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 13:14:49 -0800
Subject: Re: Could someone make me decals?

You have obviously not had to deal with this issue, and no I am not
kidding
you.  The potential statutory fines for willful copyright infringement
are
up to $100,000 according to Section 501.C.2 of Title 17, and the last
time
I looked the fact that it's for "personal use only" doesn't exempt one
from
liability.

US Copyright Myth #1: "Personal Use" == "Fair Use".
It doesn't - read the law.

US Copyright Myth #2: Non-commercial use = no infringement.
Wrong again.  Copyright laws do not care if any money has exchanged
hands.

Please try and know a little about what you're talking about before
knee-jerking a response next time.  While I am not a lawyer, my work as
software developer and product designer has exposed me to the harsh
realities of what Copyrights and Trademarks actually are.  While there
is
reasonably little risk when designing personal fan web sites of getting
hit
with a legal hammer, doing commision work - which is what we were
talking
about here - must be taken more seriously.

Mark "Hauptmann" Shurtleff
 email: hauptman@sfcmd.com
 StarFighter Command Homepage: http://www.sfcmd.com/

At 12:59 PM 1/26/2000 -0800, you wrote:

>Oh jeeze give me a break . . . for personal use.  You've got to be
kidding
me.