Prev: Re: [DS] daleks (All Walkers) Next: Re: An apology for the unwashed Re: Heard at The Local Game Store ...

Re: [DS2, SG2] Sci-Fi Flavor in Games

From: Tony Francis <tony@g...>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 14:12:23 +0000
Subject: Re: [DS2, SG2] Sci-Fi Flavor in Games

Nyrath the nearly wise wrote:

> Laserlight wrote:
> > Let us consider what factors would be "more SF in flavor":
> > a) exotic terrain--battles on ice caps, giant redwood forests,
> > lunar surface, etc.  This could include different atmospheres
> > and gravity as well.
>
>	  Heh.	I remember in SPI's StarSoldier an amusing
>	  scenario called "Assault on Zulu Asteroid".
>	  The asteroid was cylindrical, and rather small.
>	  So the game map was considered to be joined at the
>	  top and bottom.
>	  Ordinarily flying units could be targeted by
>	  any hostile on the map. On Zulu asteroid, flying units were
>	  quickly below the horizon if you were north or south,
>	  but easily targetable if you were east or west.

Over the past year my gaming club ran a game at several shows based on
the surface of a small asteroid. We assumed that the asteroid was a
cuboid and 'unwrapped' the surface into six two-foot squares, one for
each face of the asteroid. Each edge was colour coded so that the
relationship between faces was immediately obvious. A figure could
always see all of the face he was standing on. If a figure stood within
2" of an edge then he could see halfway across the adjoining face - so
if a figure was within 2" of a corner he could see halfway across two
adjoining faces.

We don't claim credit for this idea - it was published in one of the UK
gaming mags a while back (but I'm afraid I don't remember the author so
I can't credit him).

Tony

Prev: Re: [DS] daleks (All Walkers) Next: Re: An apology for the unwashed Re: Heard at The Local Game Store ...