Prev: Re: [FMA] [Jon ?] Close combat weapons - two systems ? Next: RE: Full Thrust line drawings

Re: [DS2, SG2] Sci-Fi Flavor in Games

From: Mike.Elliott@b...
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 11:25:28 +0000
Subject: Re: [DS2, SG2] Sci-Fi Flavor in Games

wrote:
>    OK, what I've done in my SGII games (I haven't started gaming DSII
on
my
>own.) is to set up situations that simply wouldn't have occurred in
historical
>settings, or at least were extremely unlikely.
>    In SGII, I figure most of the supply lines for the aggressor are
not
on the
>ground.  If they are attacking the planet with ground forces, I'm
assuming
they
>have control of near-orbit and drop a great deal of the supplies
directly
to the
>companies and battalions in the field.  Consequently, many of my
scenarios
>center around isolated units securing a good drop or landing zone for
resupply.
>I also have an inordinate number of scenarios where the supplies missed
the drop
>zone and two squads or platoons are rushing to get the supplies.  OK, I
admit,
>it's not a heavy sci-fi feel, but it's not very historical, either.
>    Another feature of the sci-fi setting is that most units will be
spread thin
>and many will not have the luxury of being supported by artillery.
This
is just
>a consquence of the greater mobility in the sci-fi setting.  In a WWII
game, it
>would be unusual if you didn't have arty support, but in DSII/SGII, I
can
see
>units moving out of arty range on a regular basis.  Even if you control
near
>orbit, there's no guarantee they can swing the ortillery platform
around
in time
>to help you, even if it is available.
>    But beyond those specific scenario design parameters, there are
also
the
>different types and mixes of troops.  Even in the GZG universe, there
is a
>different feel if you're running a NAC Royal Marines platoon or FSE
Colonial
>Legion platoon.  Both of them run very different from historicals.
However,
>once again, the systems were designed with modern combat in mind, so
you're
>never going to stray too far that model.
>    Brian, I agree with what you're saying, though.  There is a sci-fi
flavor to
>DSII/SGII, but it is not as heavy as some of the competition.	You
might
try
>designing more EW units into your scenarios.  Nothing screams sci-fi
more
than
>an EW, ECM, ECCM, ECCCM, ECCCCM duel. <g>

>-Mike

These scenarios sound really interesting. Are they on the Web somewhere,
or
could
you post them to this list?

Mike Elliott

--
Michael Sarno

http://vietnam.isonfire.com
Check out the Charlie Company Discussion Group:
Info, resources, and links for RAFM's miniatures
skirmish wargame of infantry combat in Vietnam 1965-1972

"The world has no room for cowards.
 We must all be ready to toil, to suffer, to die.
 And yours is no less noble because no drum beats
 before you when you go out in your daily battlefields.
 And no crowds shout about your coming when you
 return from your daily victory or defeat."
 -Robert Louis Stevenson

***
Privileged/Confidential Information and/or Copyright Material may
be contained in this e-mail. The information and Material is
intended for the use of the intended addressee. If you are not
the intended addressee, or the person responsible for delivering
it to the intended addressee, you may not copy or deliver it to
anyone else or use it in any unauthorised manner. To do so is
prohibited and may be unlawful. If you receive this e-mail by
mistake, advise the sender immediately by using the reply
facility in your e-mail software.

Thank you.
**

Prev: Re: [FMA] [Jon ?] Close combat weapons - two systems ? Next: RE: Full Thrust line drawings