Prev: RE: [SG2] Squad chain-of-command? Next: RE: [SG2] Squad chain-of-command?

Re: [FMA] Weapon ranges

From: Ryan M Gill <monty@a...>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 04:30:53 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: [FMA] Weapon ranges

On Tue, 25 Jan 2000 RWHofrich@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 1/25/00 12:49:21 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> Tom.McCarthy@sofkin.ca writes:
>
> > Assault Rifle	      Range multiplier: 1x   Firepower:
D10/D8/D6
> >  Impact: D8
> >  Automatic Assault Rifle	  Range multiplier: 1x	 Firepower:
D12/D10/D8
> >  Impact: D8
>
> Pardon me, but what are the definitions you are using for an "Assault
Rifle"
> and an "Automatic Assault Rifle?"  The last I heard, an asasult rifle
is a
> weapon using an intermediate-power cartridge and capable of automatic
and
> semi-automatic operation.  At least in current technology/usage--hence
my
> question (since an AR is semi and full-auto, why a seperate entry for
auto?).

This leads one to wonder why there isn't a "Battle Rifle" or Bolt
Action Rifle category in there.

I ask this as given the weapons development over the past few years
weapons have increased in firepower but decreased in range effectiveness

over the past 50 years from the decline of use of long bolt action
rifles (Springfields in 30.06, the Wonderful .303 Brit Enfield family
and
Mausers) with large full cartridges to smaller weaker but faster firing
assault rifles (M16, G36 and SA80). The intermediate step are the semi
and full auto rifles like the M14, G3 and L1A1-SLR/FN-FAL.

Just comparing troops with similar trainign levels I can see some trade
offs with each weapon.

A platoon of grunts with Bolt actions would be hard to hit at long
range.
Especially if they volley fired, a platoon with bolt actions can have a
beaten zone just like a SAW, but at much further range (My Enfield is
marked up to 1400 Yards, earlier "Long Lee's were sighted for up to 2400

yards).  The volly fire was the early form of making a beaten zone (like

with a Heavy MG) at long range. Worked great inthe mountains of
Afganistan, the trenches of France and Belgium and in the deserts of
North Africa.

The next step up in firepower and down in range would be a Battle Rifle
like the H&K G3, FN Fals and M14's. These can cut down a tree with their

firepower at full auto. Acuracy generally stinks to high heaven when
firing this way. Range is rather long 1000yards being what is extreme.
Great all around weapon, good for on the desert all by your platoon's
lonesome. (The SF guys in Desert Storm scrounged these for the extra
range. GMPMs fire the same kind of ammo here.

Next are the assault rifles like M16s, SA80s G36's and AKs. These fire
out to around 3-400 yards effective range. A SAW will out range these
more often than not. A GPMG will definately out range these. Range is
traded for ammo here.

- Ryan Montieth Gill	  NRA / DoD# 0780 (Smug #1) / AMA / SOHC -
- ryan.gill@turner.com	    I speak not for CNN, nor they for me -
- rmgill@mindspring.com 	     www.mindspring.com/~rmgill/ -
- '85 Honda CB700S  -  '72 Honda CB750K  - '76 Chevy MonteCarlo  -

Prev: RE: [SG2] Squad chain-of-command? Next: RE: [SG2] Squad chain-of-command?